Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Rear crank oil seal accomplished!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Default Rear crank oil seal accomplished!!!

Finally received my rear crank oil seal and 2x O rings and did the job yesterday. Took a bit longer than expected due to not having a cradle for the gearbox and man handling it in and out but it got done anyhow. The manual I downloaded from the internet was quite vague in places but didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out and definitely pointed you in the right direction. Once box, clutch and flywheel inc backing plate removed it was pretty straight forward. Use two clutch bolts to evenly wind out carrier and it comes out nicely. Seal was then situated on the opposite side of the carrier. The small O ring fits on the spacer which has a round seat that faces the engine and the larger one fits around the inner edge of the carrier. A smear of grease on both O ring and the new seal and it fits nicely. The smaller O ring in my case was stuck to the crank and the larger was perished. The main seal had also seen better days. Well after a good clean up of all components and a re-assemble it all seems fine with no leaking as of yet. Took it for a decent drive today and it drives brilliantly, gear changes seem smoother after cleaning bell housing and lubricating release bearing. Still no oil leak. Unfortuneately I didn't manage to take any pictures as I was covered head to toe in oil and grease. However if anyone tackles it and needs any extra info I will be glad to help.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Good Job...Pity there's no pictures though as it often adds interest.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM

I had planned to but I was against the clock and covered in all sorts so the picture taking part dropped down the priority list. I'm pretty confident minus the pictures that I could guide someone through if they hit any obstacles though.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 PM

I take it you did the job in a garage on a hoist as you said you didn't have a Gearbox cradle.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 PM
pob

How long did it take?
Can you do it on your own without a cradle?
Mine has gone so I threw in some of the stop leak seal re-conditioner and it seems to have worked but I know that I'm going to have to do it sometime soon

Old 05-18-2014, 01:43 AM

I started at 8am and finished at around 6pm after clearing up and having a few breaks and also had to wait for the new flywheel bolts to arrive. That was with 2 of us tackling it and taking our time to not mess it up. I wouldn't recommend doing it on your own as the box is pretty substantial. You can lift it of the ground yourself, but lifting it up and guiding into place would be very difficult. A crane or cradle would be very beneficial or preferably a second set of hands.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Hi. I have recently purchased a grand voyager ,
And will also be attempting crankshaft seal, I will be more than willing to add some pictures to this post when I do it,
I do have the workshop manual , a decent trolley jack axle stands,
Will I need any other special tools , or anything you can think of, that Would have made the Job easier for you in hindsight,

I could do with advice for some other jobs too, see my other post many thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Sounds like you are almost more than prepared enough compared to my attempt anyway. Will you be doing this inside some kind of workshop or outside? I did it inside a workshop on a lift. I had the use of a gantry crane and the ramp jack to assist but was still awkward manouvering the box without the aid of a proper transmission jack. Lucky enough to have a decent parts cleaner to speed the degreasing process as it was really messy when the gearbox was removed.
I made a small steel tool for removing the slave cylinder. Literally a small 90 degree bend with a semi circle cut out to fit around the quick release part of the slave. pull down and then seperate the pipe. Fairly straight forward. I used a drift (thick as possible to fit) to lock the flywheel to remove its bolts. Probably worth getting a torque angle gauge. Need to torque bolts a further 60 degrees. i personally didnt want to guess that and did it properly. Use 2 clutch bolts to wind out the plate containing the seal. And take note of exactly how it came off best you can. difficult if completely perished though. Some of the mounting bolts were quite difficult to get at so wobble bars and deep sockets were a great help and also a strong telescopic magnet as i have fat fingers and couldnt retrieve a few of the bolts from their recess. My clutch alignment tool was a 6" extension bar, black tape wrapped around and my eye to line it up. Finally for now, a second set of hands, for me was priceless!
Good luck and will gladly provide some advice on future jobs.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:49 PM

excellent thanks for your tips,

hopefully attempting this weekend,
oh and i already have the socket extension with tape wrapped around tool,
and four hands too !
I wont have the luxury of a workshop, but may borrow an impact wrench,
I dont need to use the wagon in a hurry now, theres no panic
thanks again

Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 PM

hi ...how did you get on,,, ? ive just done mine and got it wrong,,,didnt fit the smaller black o ring because didnt know where it goes ,,now got oil everywhere ...where on earth doeas the black o ring go ?