Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

recommend a OBD2 scan tool for 2002 Chrysler Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 PM
kkc
Default recommend a OBD2 scan tool for 2002 Chrysler Voyager

Can anyone recommend a cheap OBD2 / DRBIII compliant code reader for the 2002 Voyager?

I bought one on Amazon recently (see
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive
), but it only seems to read a few sets of codes.

I understand that only from 2003 did the Voyagers become more compliant with the error code standards, so perhaps if this is an issue, then it's unlikely there is a better code reader than the one I already have.

Thanks, kkc

Old 08-17-2014, 02:34 PM

In essence, don't waste you money, there isn't a cheap one for Chrysler. All the cheap ones will give are the emissions related P codes, you can get the emissions P codes with your IGN key by doing 'key dance'. If you are looking for a decent scanner you need to be at about £1000 unless you chance buying a Chinese clone at around £500.

Best of luck !

Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 PM
kkc

Thanks QinteQ ... you have confirmed my suspicions. Furthermore, I hooked up my code reader to a 2002/2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. It read about 5-6 sub-systems. Another 6-7 were not readable. For me it's clear that these readers are nowhere as complete as the proper manufacturer's readers. Rgds, kkc

Old 08-18-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by kkc
Thanks QinteQ ... you have confirmed my suspicions. Furthermore, I hooked up my code reader to a 2002/2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. It read about 5-6 sub-systems. Another 6-7 were not readable. For me it's clear that these readers are nowhere as complete as the proper manufacturer's readers. Rgds, kkc
- tfb will give a free Chrysler read [Bristol]
- BTW they do work with other auto makers of certain years
- the thing is when the CAN-BUS became the norm with Euro 3-2000/4-2005
- computers took over [literally] and a whole new industry was spawned
- small indi garages are uber competitive and will do a read for about £30
- but many use out of date generic readers not Chrysler specific software

The Test

Ask the garage if they can re-set user specified settings [seat travel/radio/ mirrors/door locking, on your Chrysler in the BCM - if they can't find the setting .. .. take your money elsewhere.

Best of luck M8

Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM
kkc

Thanks QinteQ...!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:57 PM

Out of curiosity: Would the reason that the information is only readable by (very) expensive hard- and software be that Chrysler wants to protect the chrysler dealers and assure them some business?
If so, that would be a dumb businessmodel. Even Mercedes Benz models can be hooked on after market scan tools for almost every available function (according to my regular Benz mechanic)

Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vmaxxer
Out of curiosity: Would the reason that the information is only readable by (very) expensive hard- and software be that Chrysler wants to protect the chrysler dealers and assure them some business?
If so, that would be a dumb business model. Even Mercedes Benz models can be hooked on after market scan tools for almost every available function (according to my regular Benz mechanic)
Blummin ecky thump - that's a big question, ok ! - I'll have a quick go :

There are just 2 kinds of reader. an expensive online with manufacturer specific codes and both upgrade and update-able and the other kind which is none of these things but reads bog standard generic P codes only.

The second digit after the P for example that starts with P0 for example will give only [SAE] non manufacturer specific generic powertrain only info. The much more useful and accurate second digit P1 code gives manufacturer specific information. That would be the case for all four [P/B/C/U] areas of the ODBII platform .. .. so the cheap one will read power-train generic only but the good one will read power-train, body, chassis and the most critical [BUS] network codes and will do so for both generic and manufacturer specific information, its the only way to get transmission, AC / Heating controls, Instrument Clusters, ABS systems, ASC Systems, SRS systems, Anti-Theft etc data.

The good one will also go online for help and related diagnostic info, it will do live reads etc, it will in some examples allow limited reprogramming of the [on board brains] EEPROM[s]. You pay £1,500 to £12,000 for a good reader then it can cost £500+ per year each year every year to keep up to date, in other words its a rip-off priced product that most can't do without because all cars are run by computers that are coded by manufacturers and have been for a decade or more.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Some people swear by the Torque app on android

Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
Some people swear by the Torque app on android
- I've got it on my phone & 10", its crap on the Voyager BUS for a reason' its about £2 quid, if ............ you first pay £500 quid for the phone to make the app work
- I had, and still have a backup car parked up, a old 2K Fiat Multipla, it works brill on that old data BUS
- tech moves on my friend

Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM
kkc

Yes, I use Torque and Carista. Torque is useless. Carista is free, so I don't complain. I think the problem, as explained above, is mostly due to the reader being unable to read all sections.

Quick Reply: recommend a OBD2 scan tool for 2002 Chrysler Voyager