Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Remote Start Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Default Remote Start Rip Off

I'm purchasing an 08 Town & Country touring model. The salesman told me that remote start is $699 extra. Is he for real? If so, is there anyway for me to get around paying that ridiculous price.

Sidenote: I'm leasing the vehicle for $315 a month, 15k miles a year, standard touring model with the swivel 'n go add on, no money down and a $1,900 trade-in. Did I do ok? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Default RE: Remote Start Rip Off

You should verify on the Chrysler website what that option would cost. Also, if it comes part of a package, say with a convienance package then he may not be fibbing as it is part of the $699 package and you get other stuff with it.

If your vehicle does not come with a remote start and you specifically request it as a delaer installed option, then he is pretty much free to charge whatever price. Ask if it is a factory remote start or dealer installed. If it's the latter, and NOT part of any other package then he may be trying to smoke you.

Then again, I'm from Canada so if you are in the States it may be very different. Up here we only have two Town and Country models. The touring and the Limited. Mine is the limited, with factory remote start. The annoying thing with the rmeote start is that you can only do it TWICE and it stays running for a maximum of 15 minutes. It's freaking cold up here and 15 minutes is usually not enough when its -40C!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 PM

The Chrysler website doesn't tell you the price of the option. Also, I don't think it was part of a package. $699 seems like a total rip off. Anyone know if that price is right for remote start alone?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:04 PM

I just picked up a new lease on a 2008 T&C Touring with "K" package.

The dealership installed the factory remote starter system and gave me
two key fobs with the remote starter button on them.

They did this for free as part of the deal.

I was able to get it at 36 months/36,000 miles Zero down $360 a month including upfronts.

I think it was a fair deal for both of us. And while I have listed problems I've found with this vehicle,
I am overjoyed with it and can't say enough about it.

You just can't go wrong with this vehicle.

The key fobs by themselves cost the dealership about $100 dollars apiece.
So the remote starter module probably does cost around $300 - $400 dollars by itself.

Thanks and see you out there,
Loki Sunrider

Old 03-19-2008, 08:04 PM

I was just recently in a Chrysler stealership dealing onan Aspen, and the New Car Sales Manager (quite a title for this bonehead) told me that the car starter was extra. I told him that the vehicle came with the Popular Group, which included the starter. He stated over and over that it wasn't, that he had to add that to the price, so I let him add it.Told him that I wanted to thinkthe deal overnight and leave him witha $1000.oo deposit. Nope,he wouldn't take my money, said he either sells it to me at this price or no deal. I made a call to another dealership, gave a $1000.oo deposit over the phone, went down to the dealership and found out what I had already known. What a way to lose a sale huh??

Some people's kids.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM

I didn't think that the DEALER would be installing ANY FACTORY REMOTE STARTER. Either it is included FROM THE FACTORY, or it is a dealer installed option (which isn't factory).

Old 03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
moe

[hr]
hi blue,from what i deal withevery day at the dealership, i see the sales team with their hands in every thing they can make money on.but having said that i think that price sounds a little inflated.the remote is not so easy to install from a tech stand point.but the labor time is regulated by chrysler.try playing the same game they (saleman)play.if it doesn't work out guess what start to the door.you won't make it to your car!!! good luck,moe

Old 03-20-2008, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Gumby

I didn't think that the DEALER would be installing ANY FACTORY REMOTE STARTER. Either it is included FROM THE FACTORY, or it is a dealer installed option (which isn't factory).

Well, first off, the dealership wanted to install an aftermarket remote starting system in my new 2008 T&C Touring "K package" vehicle.
I would have had two seperate large key fobs on my key ring with this aftermarket system.

I told them that is unacceptable and that I wanted the factory remote starting system installed with the chrysler key fob that has the remote start
button on it. So they agreed and did that for free as part of my lease deal.

The first module they installed ended up being defective, so by the end of the afternoon they had another working one installed.
It works just great. If it is really cold outside, I engage it for 15 minutes, then when it shuts down, I engage it a second time to really warm the vehicle.

I really did my homework on this vehicle upfront and visited around 5 dealerships frequently and wheeled and dealed with salespersons and salesmanagers until
I got the deal I was satisfied with.

Thanks and see you out there,
Loki Sunrider

Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the great replies. I ended up going for it since we really wanted the remote start. All in all, I think I got a good deal on the vehicle. By the way, my key fob doesn't have a remote start button. I have to hit the lock, unlock, and lock keys in that order in order to start the car. Did they cut some corners on me? Thanks again.

Side question: I have automatic side doors and rear gate. Is there a way to make all three open up at once?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 AM

On my FOB there is a dedicated remote start button as well as two sliding door buttons and the rear tailgate button. Of course the panic and lock unlock buttons are there.

In order for me to remote start the vehicle, I need to push the start button twice. It will only remain on for 15 minutes and you can remote start it ONLY twice.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Rip Off