Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Default RE: Remote Start Rip Off

ORIGINAL: Gumby

Mine is the limited, with factory remote start. The annoying thing with the rmeote start is that you can only do it TWICE and it stays running for a maximum of 15 minutes. It's freaking cold up here and 15 minutes is usually not enough when its -40C!!!
Err, that's annoying. I have the factory starter as well, but I didn't realize it was that limited. I installed one in my truck when I lived in Michigan and I had it set to run for 1 hour before shutting. It was wonderful when it was snowing (and when wasn't it, lol).

Erik

Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue2836

Thanks for the great replies. I ended up going for it since we really wanted the remote start. All in all, I think I got a good deal on the vehicle. By the way, my key fob doesn't have a remote start button. I have to hit the lock, unlock, and lock keys in that order in order to start the car. Did they cut some corners on me? Thanks again.

Side question: I have automatic side doors and rear gate. Is there a way to make all three open up at once?
I don't think they cut corners, they saved themselves a bit of cash though. It's amazing how lots of stuff on the vehicle can be programed, including the key fob. So you have one extra button push to start the car, no biggy.

I do think they should let the drivers program how many minutes they want the engine to run during an auto start.

Thanks and see you out there,
Loki Sunrider

Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Loki Sunrider

I do think they should let the drivers program how many minutes they want the engine to run during an auto start.

Loki Sunrider
the whole idea of OBD connectors, codes, EVAP, EGR, catalysers, PCM's.... is to reduce pollution.

and then you remotely start the engine, let it run for an hour, and pollute more than 4 hours of driving. not to mention excessive fuell consumption and engine wear during 1 hour on idle with cold engine.

thats your wish, but car factory just can't do that.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: I wonder

ORIGINAL: Loki Sunrider

Loki Sunrider
the whole idea of OBD connectors, codes, EVAP, EGR, catalysers, PCM's.... is to reduce pollution.

and then you remotely start the engine, let it run for an hour, and pollute more than 4 hours of driving. not to mention excessive fuell consumption and engine wear during 1 hour on idle with cold engine.

thats your wish, but car factory just can't do that.
Well, my wish is to program it for a 20 minute run time. Not 1 hour!! Good gravy !!
I'll have to check my post, but I don't think I mentioned I wanted to run it for 1 whole hour.

Yeah, that would be a waste of gas and added pollution.

Loki Sunrider

Old 03-30-2008, 08:50 AM

Cars that idle waste very little gas...

Erik

Old 03-30-2008, 01:47 PM

yeah, right.
especially at very low temperatures.

during cold start and idle, pollution is the worst and engine wear is the highest.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Yeah, I can say that an idling car consumesquite a bit of fuel. In the cold snap we had up here (from Nov to Mar...lol!) I was getting very crappy fuel consumption numbers. Around 18-22 L/100 km. Not very good, especially since my van would idle ALOT. Now it is hovering around 14-15 L/100 km and 99.9% of my driving is city (under 100km/h stop and go).

Now on my Ford F250 5.4L gas, I will burn through 1/4 of a 110 Litre gas tank idling for 10-11 hrs per day![:-]

Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 AM

normal 4 cyl engine, up to 2 liter of displacement, will use between 0,5 to 1 liter of fuel per hour of idling. but that's when the engine is warm. and when it's cold, it takes forever to warm up the engine to normal operating temperature when catayst becomes functional.
guess that your V6 and V8 engine warm up faster, but they also use more fuel.

Now it is hovering around 14-15 L/100 km and 99.9% of my driving is city (under 100km/h stop and go).
I would say this is excellent for city driving, especially if your car is V6.
just to compare, my car takes 13 litres of LPG per 100 km (half-half, city and open road), and its a 4 cyl engine with 200 000 km.
Now on my Ford F250 5.4L gas, I will burn through 1/4 of a 110 Litre gas tank idling for 10-11 hrs per day!
woooow. that's a lot.
is it that cold that you have to keep idling all day long?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: I wonder

Now on my Ford F250 5.4L gas, I will burn through 1/4 of a 110 Litre gas tank idling for 10-11 hrs per day!
woooow. that's a lot.
is it that cold that you have to keep idling all day long?
My van is the 4.0L limited.

Well during the colder parts of the winter, I (and consequently everyone else up here) idles their vehicles. I know, I know what you are going to say...the environment. But seriously, when it's -45C to -55C plus windchill the environment is not at the top of my list. You do not want to stop your vehicle. Things just do not want to work properly at that temperature and you run the risk of it not starting...

That is how my power steering on my '08 Town and Country failed (I would imagine the inferior rubber tubing helped too!)

Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 AM

lowest that I had was -25.
even on -10, if it's windy, you get freezed to the bones.

now that you said, I remeber your problems with P/S hose. but I did not know that it gets that cold for you. I have no complaints on your idling. but also you know, that a lot of people would keep it running for an hour or so, and without a good reason.

4,0 liter engine in T&C does not exist in europe. the biggest one is 3,8 V6.
so what? 4,0 is V8?
it's still excellent fuell consumption.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Rip Off