Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Remote Start Rip Off

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Default RE: Remote Start Rip Off

ORIGINAL: Loki Sunrider

Well, my wish is to program it for a 20 minute run time. Not 1 hour!! Good gravy !!
I'll have to check my post, but I don't think I mentioned I wanted to run it for 1 whole hour.

Yeah, that would be a waste of gas and added pollution.

Thanks and see you out there,
Loki Sunrider
Many states have idling laws that limit the amount of time a vehicle is permitted to idle. Some allow 20 minutes, but many allow only 15 minutes. I think Chrysler just has to comply with the strictest rules.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: I wonder

lowest that I had was -25.
even on -10, if it's windy, you get freezed to the bones.

now that you said, I remeber your problems with P/S hose. but I did not know that it gets that cold for you. I have no complaints on your idling. but also you know, that a lot of people would keep it running for an hour or so, and without a good reason.

4,0 liter engine in T&C does not exist in europe. the biggest one is 3,8 V6.
so what? 4,0 is V8?
it's still excellent fuell consumption.
Yes, I suppose that is why the remote start only allows 2 restarts...as for my engine, the 4.0L is the V6. 251hp. I would imagine it was probably the old 4.0L that was in the Jeep Cherokee? I don't really know. It is very strong and pulls well, smooth too. Coupled with the 6 speed tranny, the upshifts are like butter and are vitually seemless. Surprising for a Chrysler. I thought I would feel the transitions more...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM

yeah, right.
especially at very low temperatures.

during cold start and idle, pollution is the worst and engine wear is the highest.
Ok...so an average car "wastes" approx 1/2 gallon per hour idle. IF the car gets 30 miles per gallon, that would be 15 miles wasted. At the average of 60mph, that would be 15 minutes of driving time. So...1 hr idle = 15 mins driving time. Hence, my quote, "Cars that idle waste very little gas..."

In my mind, wasting the same amount of fuel for 1 hour vs 15 minutes is wasting very little gas. If that one gallon cost me $2.85, let's say $3 for an easy number, it cost me $1.50 every morning to get into a warm car without 6 inches of snow on it. I'd say it's worth it all around.

Erik

Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 AM

look

I have no interest in arguing with you.
but, just becouse it's convinient and cheap for you, that does not necceserraly mean that it's OK.
I understand your wish to get into the warm car (is it really snowing EVERY night?) but you will think differently when things change. and they will change.

in europe, 1 gallon would cost you around 6 $.
oil will not last forever. when it hits 200 US$ per barrel, will you think the same way?

so, go ahead.
warm up your car every day, I couldn't care less. it's your money.
but don't tell me you are not wasting fuel and not polluting.
cheers.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM

look

I have no interest in arguing with you.
but, just becouse it's convinient and cheap for you, that does not necceserraly mean that it's OK.
I understand your wish to get into the warm car (is it really snowing EVERY night?) but you will think differently when things change. and they will change.

in europe, 1 gallon would cost you around 6 $.
oil will not last forever. when it hits 200 US$ per barrel, will you think the same way?

so, go ahead.
warm up your car every day, I couldn't care less. it's your money.
but don't tell me you are not wasting fuel and not polluting.
cheers.
I agree not to argue, but you can't just make things up. I never said I wasn't wasting fuel, I said it used very little fuel (and .5 gallons in1 hr is very little when you burn through that in 15 minutes driving)...and I never said anything about pollution. And yes, in Michigan, it snowed almost every day in the winter.

Erik

Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: tifosiv122
I agree not to argue, but you can't just make things up. I never said I wasn't wasting fuel, I said it used very little fuel (and .5 gallons in1 hr is very little when you burn through that in 15 minutes driving)...and I never said anything about pollution. And yes, in Michigan, it snowed almost every day in the winter.

Erik
peace

my country is on the mediteranian sea. we have more warm then cold days.
but inland, it also snows during winter. every winter.

no matter what you do or how long you idle your car, it's not going to melt the snow on the roof of the car, or the area around it.
you can't clean the path to your car without the snow showel.
even 2 hours of idling is not going to warm up bearings, tyres, brakes, shocks....

if it makes your life easier, go for it.

but I still claim: long idling is a waste of fuell (different from driving, becouse with driving you get somewhere) and terrible pollution.

if you want to hear about it, just say so and I'll start a new thread about engine working conditions and wear in cold weather.

peace again.