Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Rumbling noise.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 AM
Default Rumbling noise.....

Hi - new to this forum & have a question i hope someone can give me an answer to.
I have a 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 crd Ltd xs. A couple of days ago i noticed a rumbling noise coming from something that's driven by the drive belt that goes round the alternator etc. You can't see down there as the engine is so tightly packed in. Sounds like the bearings have gone in something, that kind of noise, but i'm not too sure what's driven by that belt, alternator. power steering pump, A/C compressor? As you down on the engine there is a small pulley at the bottom that the belt loops round & it looks like that may be the one thats making the rumbling noise.
I hope this makes sense to someone as reading back i'm not sure it will!!
I quite like doing these sorts of jobs myself, but as i have limited access to a drive way ( we share with next door which is a care home so always busy) I'm not sure i can get under the car enough to give access, so might have to be a trip to our local chrysler independant.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 AM

As the alternator bearings are a possible, you should be able to hear them using a long screwdriver stethoscope fashion.
If you think the alternator bearings are worn out, consider having the bearings replaced as a new new alternator is not cheap. Or find one in a scrapyard/wreckers yard. I was quoted £360 for a reconditioned one...Fortunately it turned out I didn't need one in that instance.

Leedsman.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Sounds like the alternator belt tensioner had gone! See if the roller is running straight or signs of uneven wear on the belt.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 AM
tfb

The big belt drives the air con compressor and the alternator and has a tensioner and idler pulley.

You can get better access to the air con compressor through the wheel arch if you remove the under tray and side panel. By using a long screwdriver or metal rod as a stethoscope you should be able to find out which one is causing it.

on past experience I'd suspect the air con compressor first and then the idler pully.

Regards
Richard