Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Service engine light 2009 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Default Service engine light 2009 T&C

I have a service engine light on. Sunday night, when I started the van, the ignition kept turning over-at least that's what it sounded like. I immediately turned the key to off, and then tried to restart it. It started fine but the service engine light came on. We drove it about 40 miles before we were able to get the codes pulled at Advance Auto. It ran perfect. The tech told us that it was the evaporator emission system leak code. He said it was a very small leak. He said the usual culprit for this code was a loose gas cap. I checked the cap and it wasn't tight. (My wife had trouble getting it on right when she filled up the other day.) The tech said that it should reset itself and the light will go off in about 50 starts as long as that was the problem. We are going on a 1500 mile round trip vacation and wanted to get your input on this info he gave us.
The van is a 2009 T&C, 3.3 engine, 94,000 miles.
Thanks for any input.
David

Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM

The tech should have reset the light with his scanner. Buy a cheap code reader or scanner ($25) and reset the light to be sure of the cause of the light.

" the ignition kept turning over-at least that's what it sounded like" Can you clarify that? Did it sound normal?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:35 PM

If you do the key dance in these vans, from off to on 3 or 4 times any codes will appear in the odometer readout. If the evap system detects a small enough leak the gascap illumination will appear in the odometer area as well.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection with Purge Monitor requires a cool down cycle, usually an overnight soak for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The ambient temperature must decrease overnight - parking the vehicle outside is advised.
By performing a Battery Disconnect, the CARB Readiness and all additional OBD II information will be cleared.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the responses. I tried to do the Key dance but nothing came across the display. Then I noticed that the engine light was out when I started the engine. I haven't driven the van yet just let it idle. Does this mean it's ok now? I will drive it to Church tonight so I'll let you know if I have any trouble. Thanks
David

Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM

The key dance is the below.

Name:  CGmImHg.png
Views: 20
Size:  325.4 KB

The dance is the timing [knack] between moves in milliseconds between the OFF and ON position. Brain in gear, patience, it works in milliseconds, practice. NOTE that the OFF is one clockwise from the LOCK position and the LOCK position is the only position from which you can withdraw or insert the key into the barrel.

- its (1) On / Off (2) On / Off (3) On / Off (4) On
- different car but exactly the same mode operandi

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
The key dance is the below.

The dance is the timing [knack] between moves in milliseconds between the OFF and ON position. Brain in gear, patience, it works in milliseconds, practice. NOTE that the OFF is one clockwise from the LOCK position and the LOCK position is the only position from which you can withdraw or insert the key into the barrel.

- its (1) On / Off (2) On / Off (3) On / Off (4) On
- different car but exactly the same mode operandi
Because the ignition switch is different, the key dance is slightly different on the 2008 and up minivans. The sequence is:
(1) ACC / ON (2) ACC / ON (3) ACC / ON

George

Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 AM

Thanks for that georgef, its good to know,I'd no idea they were different.