Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Tire System Soon" message. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Default "Service Tire System Soon" message. Need help!

Ok, I have a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited AWD. I have read through all of the threads I can about this and have not found a conclusion for my situation. Here is what’s going on…
I just had new tires put on a couple weeks ago. Prior to having them replaced there was no problem with the TPMS, it was working correctly. Right after having the tires replaced I got the message “service tire system soon”. This message literally came up as I was pulling out of the parking lot of the tire place. I had the tire shop retrain the TPM sensors. They all seem to train correctly but after driving for a minute I got the message back. I have retrained all of the tires myself since and agree that they appear to train correctly but the problem still remains.
At this point I took it in to the local Chrysler dealer and had them run diagnostics on it. They diagnosed that the SKIM was bad and that it was not maintaining the memory from the 4 tire pressure monitor sensors inside the tires. This didn’t seem to make much sense to me since from what I have heard and read the skim is there for anti-theft. Everything I read says the SKIM is what the keys have to be programmed to in order for the car to run with the key. I did not find anything linking the skim to the TPMS.
In any sense, I replaced the SKIM and had the dealer reprogram the keys to it thinking they knew best. Sure enough, I drive away and the message comes back on, “Service Tire System Soon”. At this point I am so frustrated that I don’t know what to do next. The dealer says the next step is to replace the PCM (powertrain control module). At $600 + $100 for programming I am not ready to do this until I get good reason to do so. Everything else is running perfectly fine on the vehicle.
Some side notes… The factory tire size is a 215/65/R16. When I bought the vehicle it had 225/60/R16 tires on it so I replaced them with the same size. The tire pressure tag on the drivers side door says the tires need to be 36 PSI cold. When I checked them tonight they were at 40 PSI. I let pressure out until they were down to 36 PSI and retrained the tires again with the magnet. Same error message, “Service Tire System Soon”.
I am really hoping that someone here can help me figure this out. First, is the SKIM linked in any way to the TPMS? Second, if so, having replaced the SKIM, what might the problem be? Third, could the PCM be bad and only be impacting the TPMS?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Ray

Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 PM

I have the same vehicle and no issues with the TPMS here. I'd bitch to the dealer for charging you and not fixing it! This was a 5-star dealer?? what were they thinking?
Hard to believe it's the tire size, if your lucky, it's only a bad TPS sensor, let us know!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM

True......Tpms sensors ARE read by Skim....Since there is not a "HARDWIRED" connection to the vehicle, it is done by RF radio frequencies....The same as your Key, and The LOCK/UnLOCK function on your FOB, (If You Have One)..Skim Was Later renamed to ..Wireless Control Module..or WCM.

Also true...Inconsistencies in tire pressure gauges can easily exceed 4 psi..Which means Either you, or the tech have an inaccurate gauge.

TPMS sensors are very eaily damaged if proper MOUNT /DISMOUNT procedures are not followed. WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE TIRE SHOP DISSATISFIED IN THE FIRST PLACE.......Although...a Damaged sensor should NOT train...

Now...Just for giggles.... Take the caps off of the valve stems.....LOOK AT THE CORES.....They MUST BE THE SILVER ONES...NOT BRASS COLORED...This is the ANTENNA used by the sensor to transmit to SKIM.....

You replaced the SKIM????And had the dealer program the KEYS to it......DID ANYONE REPROGRAM THE SENSOR ID'S TO SKIM?????

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 01-16-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM

I have a 05' T & C that has the same problem but i have not done anything about it. After reading this thread i dont know what to do. Where is a good place to start that wont cost a lot of money? I bought mine used and it was that way when i bought it. Is there a way to disconnect that warning without disableing the rest of the upper center consol?

Rangr90

Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM

The dealer more than likely will have to disable that feature using their scan tool.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Interesting, I have an '03 T&C Limited AWD that has been doing the same thing. I got it a few months ago and up until recently I have been ignoring the message. It always seems to do it once you pull out the first time or from Park. If I can disable that crap I would love that, don't need some machine to tell me to check my tires.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM

You can disable that if it's just a bulb warning by popping the bulb out of the cluster. They twist out. If it's a text warning ......sorry can't be done. Get it fixed or live with it.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-30-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Default Help retraining my own sensors.....

RayFaatz,

I have the same message on my 2004 T&C ltd (built in 12/03). For starters, how did you retrain your sensors. I know about the magnet, but i do not have the "retrain sensors?" option on my overhead computer console, or EVIC.

Did you ever fix this problem? Inquiring minds want to know.....lol

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Default Reply To Brian

Brian

I got mine fixed. I found out that my right front tire didnt have a sencer in the valve. As soon as i put one in the warning went off. No problem since then

Rangr90

Old 10-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Looking at this from a different angle: my T&C 2002 kept giving me the same message...but rightfully so...You see, I have Aluminum Wheels that have become corroded in this Ohio weather, and caused the tires to LEAK to about 28 psi and stop for some reason, but giving me the dreaded message; when I checked and filled the tires up to 36 psi, all returned to normal until the next leak time. I have since discovered 'Slime' at the local Walmart and have eliminated the problem, entirely.

Quick Reply: "Service Tire System Soon" message. Need help!