Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Severe judder shudder

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Default Severe judder shudder

2003 2.5 crd voyager

Just had the gearbox overhauled due to the noise from the box on tickover (see other thread) replaced the clutch and now have severe judder when going back wards and dropping down through the box, the only thing I can think of, are the engine mounts front and back supposed to be pre tensioned??

Nightmare to be honest

Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM

Sounds like the clutch plate. Possible contamination on it during fitting. Pre Tensioned, Pre Loading, not on engine mounts.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Sounds like the clutch plate. Possible contamination on it during fitting. Pre Tensioned, Pre Loading, not on engine mounts.
Hi Goggs, I wish it was that simple, the clutch plate was clean when fitted as was the pressure plate and flywheel as I had cleaned them with brake cleaner, and it was all new, I have also changed the Gearbox oil to Millers Oils Millermatic ATF SP III-WS Automatic Gearbox fluid, I contacted millers and they recommended this, they say the ATF 4 that Chrysler recommend isnt quite right, must say the gear change is transformed its now like silk, would be brilliant if it did not judder, Hey Ho

Old 07-29-2016, 01:52 PM

It's obvious you have an issue here. It SOUNDS like you have a manual box (with a clutch plate) but you are using AUTOMATIC gearbox fluid, (Millermatic). Why? The lubricating requirements for the two types of gearbox are totally different, with completely different additives. However, I can't see that causing clutch judder/shudder. I would still look at the engine mountings and the CV drive joints if this is FWD same as the 2.8 CRD. Unf. as this fault is co-incident with changing the clutch, there may be some fixing error, or there is a manufacturing fault with it. Was it a pattern part? Is the clutch somehow "out of line" now?
Leedsman.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:45 PM

Could always try bedding the clutch in by slipping the clutch a bit longer between changes just to see if that helps.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:39 PM

Up date, Had my nipper remove the heat shield on the rear mount and fill it with rubber windscreen bond, bit tricky but he managed it, (It was a little tip from a Mechanic mate) left it overnight to set and tried it, virtually eliminated the judder/shudder so have bitten the bullet and purchased a new mounting from the good old USA, having been caught with quality buying local for the front I thought I would see what genuine prices were, I was surprised to find the mount including freight to the UK was only £36 ok so I have to wait a couple of weeks for it but as its a right sod to get at quality matters, I am going to remove the wiper mount from below the windscreen to aid access.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:52 AM

Well have returned from a week in North Devon and the old Voyager performed brilliantly, before I went I had my Nipper fit a new rear engine mount, bit of a pain but its on there, we found if you removed the wiper lump from the bulk head it helpt with access, the vibration now only shows up when the revs are very low, bring up the revs and no vibration, due to a Family bereavement I will now be selling the Voyager, I will put an add in the for sale section and list all I or my nipper have done/changed, it will be a fixed price as I am in no hurry to get rid.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:21 PM

Interesting to know what you think is better than the Voyager as all cars out there have their woows...

Old 09-10-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Interesting to know what you think is better than the Voyager as all cars out there have their woows...
You are so so correct, need to go to an Auto, Had Liver transplant in France March 2014, ( Not through alcohol) have complications like left arm failing to work as full of water, its strapped up to relieve the swelling, very awkward to use, I have always had Land Rovers so now may be the time to change, hey ho, will be sorry to see the old bus go, I have found the VM Engine extremely strong and willing.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM

Yes loads of Auto Voyagers, my next one will need to be one as I have a back problem. As too leaving the Voyager brood, many have done it, but many have returned. But good luck anyway.