Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter problem can't be identified ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Default starter problem can't be identified ?

Hello,

I have a Chrysler town & country 2008 limited 4.0L.

a few months back it start to have starting problems so as first thing I replaced the battery but the problem remains.

I try to start the car and it only give one tick and doesn't start, that happens with the key in ignition or with remote starter.

If I wait for some time like 10 - 15 minutes and try again it works.

I took the car to 3 different mechanics and since this issue happens very randomly they never get to say for sure it's the starter that causing the problem ( they tried the battery - alternator and said they good ) but again they said they can't say it's the starter for sure because it could be the ignition switch.

Any idea of how to diagnose the starter ? it's really frustrating having this issue and even more it's very random only happens when it wants to.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:02 PM

Starter needs to be removed and taken to a shop to do a load test on but I've seen many, many times this type of problem caused by a remote starter device or aftermarket alarm, If you can disable the remote starter easily just by pulling its fuse so it has no power then try starting the van... might give you some insight

Old 09-04-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 05sebringconv
Starter needs to be removed and taken to a shop to do a load test on but I've seen many, many times this type of problem caused by a remote starter device or aftermarket alarm, If you can disable the remote starter easily just by pulling its fuse so it has no power then try starting the van... might give you some insight
Thank you for the reply, I will give it a try next time it don't start.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

only issue with removing the starter as it will bump the brushes and will allow for it to make contact and work again so that starter test will show its good. When it wont start hit the starter with a hammer then see if it will start if so replace it.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:39 PM

A simple Crank sensor will stop your car starting, maybe sometimes, with odd shutdowns. A faulty one will not produce an output that ECU requires so no fire up. Then other times it will fire up but with lesser output.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:27 AM

I had a 'similar ' problem with intermittant starting.................
There is a spade connector to the starter motor directly below the radiator.Yellow in colour.
Give the terminal a clean up and ensure a tight grip onto the terminal.
Worth a try.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:58 PM

Update : Starter replaced and the car worked fine for a few days then the same thing happened again except it's a bit different now it fail to start once then the second time it start, usually before it won't start for a while takes about 30 minutes of tries to get it start up.

Going back to the dealer again he said he will test the ignition this time.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigyellowcroc
I had a 'similar ' problem with intermittant starting.................
There is a spade connector to the starter motor directly below the radiator.Yellow in colour.
Give the terminal a clean up and ensure a tight grip onto the terminal.
Worth a try.
Will check but terminals was the first thing me and the mechanic checked and cleaned when battery was replaced, but will give it a try for this spade connector. Thank you

Old 09-12-2016, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
only issue with removing the starter as it will bump the brushes and will allow for it to make contact and work again so that starter test will show its good. When it wont start hit the starter with a hammer then see if it will start if so replace it.
The mechanic said it was sure the starter and he replaced it and the car was working fine for a few days and now it back to randomly not to start again.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
A simple Crank sensor will stop your car starting, maybe sometimes, with odd shutdowns. A faulty one will not produce an output that ECU requires so no fire up. Then other times it will fire up but with lesser output.
Thank you will pass that to the mechanic to look at, starter was replaced and problem came back after a few days.

Quick Reply: starter problem can't be identified ?