Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

starter problem can't be identified ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 12:25 PM

Battery - starter - ignition switch and module - fuse box

all was replaced and the problem still exist, unbelievable.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 AM

When the problem occurs, you say you hear a tick? When doing this from the key in the ignition, do the dashboard lights go off when you hear the tick or do they all stay on, radio still on, etc?

Also, you said remote starter, is that a factory fit (Sorry, I'm not sure on the 2008 series) or aftermarket, as if I'm correct an aftermarket would have to defeat the 'smart-chip' in the key to avoid the immobiliser defeating the starter (and it would make a tick noise when trying to start, just a single click and nothing, no starter motor whirr or anything else other than the relay click noise)

So that may be where you need to focus, I'd expect most garages to recognise a remote start unit and know that in such cases if these are aftermarket then this would be my biggest focus.

If it is factory-fit, even so it may be the cause of your problems. Try to work out if you get the start problems after you've used remote start once, twice, etc, try never using remote start and see how you get on.
In these cases, I'd always stick to using your key in the ignition, that way the smart-chip in the key is close to the lock.

Oh, also, try the spare key (if you have one), as it could be the smart-chip in the key failing slowly.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
When the problem occurs, you say you hear a tick? When doing this from the key in the ignition, do the dashboard lights go off when you hear the tick or do they all stay on, radio still on, etc?

Also, you said remote starter, is that a factory fit (Sorry, I'm not sure on the 2008 series) or aftermarket, as if I'm correct an aftermarket would have to defeat the 'smart-chip' in the key to avoid the immobiliser defeating the starter (and it would make a tick noise when trying to start, just a single click and nothing, no starter motor whirr or anything else other than the relay click noise)

So that may be where you need to focus, I'd expect most garages to recognise a remote start unit and know that in such cases if these are aftermarket then this would be my biggest focus.

If it is factory-fit, even so it may be the cause of your problems. Try to work out if you get the start problems after you've used remote start once, twice, etc, try never using remote start and see how you get on.
In these cases, I'd always stick to using your key in the ignition, that way the smart-chip in the key is close to the lock.

Oh, also, try the spare key (if you have one), as it could be the smart-chip in the key failing slowly.

Good luck!
I got tick sound and all lights and radio - AC stays on and the car have full power of everything.

the remote starter is from factory and I never really use it except for winter days so I'm sure it have nothing to do with anything, this problem is very random like I get out the van to put gas and come back no start or stop to pick up kids from school and come back to the car and no start for 1 or 2 tries or for 100 tries, very random.

I tried the spare key of course same result and as mentioned the ignition module was replaced with brand new 2 keys programmed.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:13 PM

Lets get this straight so we can work forward. You say Tick ? Do you mean that when you turn the key to start you hear the relay clicking. If yes the fault is between relay and starter.
Just read your words again. You say Tick and all lights etc stay on, no Christmas lights, flashing etc. Sounds like wiring fault.

Last edited by goggs; 09-27-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Add a bit.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:09 PM

OK I got an update, today the car didn't start, so since I was running late to pick the kids so I was trying anything I could think about so finally I tried to start the car when it's in neutral position and it started.
after about 45 minutes it didn't want to start with my wife so she called me I said try on neutral and again the car started.
third time after 10 minutes the car didn't want to start and again put in neutral and it started.

I read something about the neutral safety switch could it be the issue ?

Old 09-29-2016, 03:26 AM

Ah, that sounds interesting, and yes good detective work!
Are you automatic or manual?

the safety switch should be located somewhere near this:

Hope that helps, looks like a cheap part (Under £20) so probably worth swapping it out.

Attached Thumbnails starter problem can't be identified ?-2012-12-05_134341_1.gif  
Old 10-11-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Ah, that sounds interesting, and yes good detective work!
Are you automatic or manual?

the safety switch should be located somewhere near this:

Hope that helps, looks like a cheap part (Under £20) so probably worth swapping it out.
Automatic, the mechanic adjusted the switch and almost 1 week now no problems at all.
only one thing keep happening is when I turned off the car and put it in park the key is locked and won't come out, my mechanic said it's probably the switch need more adjusting.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Question Simple Solution?

Originally Posted by Mohamed Ahmed
OK I got an update, today the car didn't start, so since I was running late to pick the kids so I was trying anything I could think about so finally I tried to start the car when it's in neutral position and it started.
after about 45 minutes it didn't want to start with my wife so she called me I said try on neutral and again the car started.
third time after 10 minutes the car didn't want to start and again put in neutral and it started.

I read something about the neutral safety switch could it be the issue ?
I am having the same trouble, like you are/were having, with my 2009 T&C Limited Automatic 4 Liter. Sometimes I turn the key to start and all I get is a click. I keep trying for a few minutes then it cranks and starts OK. It might then be OK for a few weeks or a few days. Chrysler dealer replaced the Starter motor and it was OK for a while but started again a few months ago. The battery and charging system are all good.

The next time it happens I'll try putting the tranny into neutral and see what happens. If it starts, it is a simple enough short term solution until I can get the vehicle in to my local shop.

Thanks for the tip.

Peter B.