Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

surging, stuttering, and dying...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Default surging, stuttering, and dying...

i have a serious problem with my 03 town and country. drove it 3 hrs to the beach this weekend, and upon arrival at our hotel, it dies on me when i was pulling into the parking spot. tried to restart, but nothing. not even a click. then about 2 minutes later, it started up fine, just like always, and i let it run. about a minute into the run, it dies again. and again, when i try to restart it, it wont crank, or let me do anything. let it sit for a couple minutes, and it fires right up! any ideas what to check or a route to go with this problem? im seriously upset right now, since i had to have it towed 3 hrs away!! please help.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM

i should have also mentioned that on the way there, i was at highway speed, and it felt like it died but then it took right off again. im not sure if the engine died or if it just shifted really hard, but it was enough to make me go "what the *&%$!!". does anyone have any idea where EXACTLY the eatx safety shutdown relay gets its signal and how i would correct it? i know it has to do with the transmission, but thats it. do you download faults out of the transmission just like you do with the engine?? thanks again.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

as of right now u need to keep it KISS Keep It Simple Stupid do u have any codes in the computer? do the key one key of trick to see if any come up on the display then check for spark and fuel see which one is missing when it wont start.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 AM

i did check the codes with the ignition, on-off-on-off-on, there were none stored. when it starts, it runs like a top. but when it dies after a couple minutes of running, and i try to restart it, it wont even crank for a couple minutes. sometimes these time values are longer or shorter, but the results are always the same. it seems like there is something just cutting it out as a safety feature, and then it resets itself after a time period?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

do u have a red dot on the dash lite up when it wont start?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM

im not aware of any red dot, however ill try it in a bit and see. where would this dot be if i look for it? on the dash itself or on the instrument cluster?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM

i tried to start again tonight, and same thing...absolutely nothing. no cranking, no starting of any kind, yet all the lights on the dash came on like normal, and the battery voltage is 12.66 vdc. there was no red dot/light that came on at all. with all the similar posts that i have read on this problem, it seems as though every dealer goes right to the computer. i dont believe this is the problem, simply because everyone that sunk that money into a computer, still had the problem afterward. i am going to jack it up, pull off the inner access panels from the wheel wells, and start looking for a shorted/burnt wiring harness. i could start throwing parts at it, but im not doing that till i have ruled out a bad harness or wire somewhere. am i in the ballpark at least?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 PM

Car died and won't crank.....start pulling fuses and looking..all of them. What CT meant about the light was SKIM module...Red dot may be on it may not be if the module is dead. Get a diag done anyway because you won't be able to program it yourself if that's what it is. I never go right to the PCM. That would be stupid...lol but I will tell you there are some sorry @ss dealers out there. Chrysler lost a buttload of good techs at their dealers after the bankruptsy.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-28-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 AM

i thank you all for doing what you can over the internet!! ive been an hvac tech in form or fashion for the last 15 or so years, and i know how tough it is to help someone diagnose something over the phone or internet, so thank you guys. i did get ahold of a scanner last night after i tried starting it. came up with code P888 and P725....im thinking its going to be a harness or loose/corroded/broken wire(s).

Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 AM

btw, those codes never showed up with the on off on method....thanks chrysler!!

Quick Reply: surging, stuttering, and dying...