Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T&C (2001) Stalls when I open the hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Default T&C (2001) Stalls when I open the hood

As soon as I open the hood beyond the safety latch, the 3.3L engine stalls. As long as the hood is open, all the instrument lights stay on, including circles around all the PRNDL letters, and a relay or something on top of the engine keeps running - even with the KEY removed! Also, the starter will not engage.
If I close the hood, I hear a relay near the fuse box click, the instrument lights go out and it will restart. Open the hood, and it stalls again. I cannot find any electrical connections on the hood, such as a hood light. I tried running a jumper wire to ground the hood to the latch, but it didn't help. I keep thinking a grounding problem, but can't find one. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any ideas. Thanks Bob R.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Is this an American car? because US cars dont have any safety switch on factory vans.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 AM

Thank you for responding. Yes, it is an American Model.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM

More details: Generic scan tool shows no codes, but I had the battery out since October, as I do not use it in Vermont winters. Info Code on the odometer is P1684 since the battery had been out. This is a flex fuel model.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

ok Is there an aftermarket alarm on the van ? Because as I said there is no switch on the hood that is factory

Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM

I would probably aim more towards a "Remote start " issue, Either factory or aftermarket. Either a loss of ignition voltage to the module, or a defective module itself will cause exactly your symptom.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks again for both responses. The T&C is 100% factory original 3.3L LX, no remote start or any aftermarket products. I purchased it used as a 2nd owner from the original dealer in 2005.
The keys have lock/unlock/panic buttons, and will remotely operate the right sliding door. Everything works except the ABS because the reluctor grooves on the front axles are rusted off.
It's only got 93K miles, a little body rust is starting, there's some corrosion on the underside and under the hood from living in Vermont, but I have not driven it in winters since I bought it, and only put on a few hundred miles each summer hauling building materials. I replaced the alternator a couple years ago after a bearing on it locked up during the winter, and an EGR valve about five years ago. I still keep thinking corrosion or a bad ground, but as you said, and as I can observe, there are no electrical items, switches, hood light buttons, or wires on the hood or near the latch, or anywhere around the hinges that I can see. I've pulled and reseated all the relays in the fuse box. As you may expect, this is the strangest issue I've ever seen. Thanks again!