Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Temp guage reading cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Default Temp guage reading cool

I have a 2006 Chrysler T&C. Last winter the thermostat went bad, it would stay shut till the gauge was reading about 3/4 of the way and it would be blowing ice cold air and then suddenly open and it was blowing really hot air, and the temp would fall back to just between 1/4 and 1/2 like it always did. It would do this pretty much every start up, but after we were driving and it opened that first time, it would operate normally.

So I replaced it and it was fine. Now this year, it takes forever for my van to warm up even when it's only in the 30's. If i'm not going on an hour trip, it hardly warms up and the normal operating temp according to the gauge is at about 1/4 and it will only blow luke warm air and it takes 15 minutes of driving to barely get there. On a rare occasion it will climb slightly and blow satisfactory warm air, but usually it seems to be operating at a lower than normal temp and blowing cooler than normal "hot" air.

Normally on a long trip after 30 min or so of highway driving, the van is hot on the inside and the inside temp needed to be adjusted. Over Thanksgiving, and it was in the upper 30's and mid 40's for most of the trip, we had the heat on high most of the time, as it never blew really hot air like it normally would.

Coolant levels are normal and I wouldn't expect them to be low and be operating at a lower than normal temp.

What are the odds I just got a bad thermostat? or do you think it could be something else?

Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 AM

T-stat is the most logical first step. Get one from or check with the dealer to make sure you get the correct temp range T-stat.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Try reading my posting "fitting a second thermostat". There are contributions from Quinteq also there. It involves easily fitting a second thermostat in the top hose to the radiator. It's done nothing but good to my heater, even though it is a diesel and by nature slow to warm up. Test period is some 6 months now. The original Chrysler thermostats (certainly in the diesels) are complicated little beasties with four connexions and expensive to boot.
Cheers,

Leedsman.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Ok, thanks a lot guys. I was wondering if they thermostat was the correct temp range. WOuldn't be the first time I was given something that didn't quite work from an auto part store.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Would quite agree that Leedsman has a better option to a new thermostat and at a quicker fit and cheaper price. Wish I had thought of that idea before doing mine.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:39 PM

If its any help and encouragement to others - mine was :

- 2/8ths (+) in 25 mins heater off
- 2/8ths (-) in 25 mins heater on

Similar two mods to Leedsman, and is now

- 5/8ths (+) in 15 mins heater off
- 4/8ths (-) in 15 mins heater on

At 50MPH & 70MPH once warm

- 4/8ths @ 70+MPH heater off till the auto cabin reaches temp
- 3/8ths@ 70+MPH heater on till the auto cabin reaches temp

- 4/8ths @ 50+MPH heater off till the auto cabin reaches temp
- 5/8ths@ 50+MPH heater on till the auto cabin reaches temp

So the temp gauge never goes over half in this weather, it takes half the distance or time it used to take took to reach a 1/4 .. .. to now reach a 1/2. It is now able to sustain the 1/2 with the cabin heater on. Tested over time / same day / same traffic & time(s) / same distance / same route. Cheap as chips, is not even technically challenging to a 10 year old, time all done & boxed up would be about 10 to 15 minutes for both mods.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Would quite agree that Leedsman has a better option to a new thermostat and at a quicker fit and cheaper price. Wish I had thought of that idea before doing mine.
and I wish you guys would have posted before I went and bought a new thermostat yesterday

I skimmed the thread, I'll have to read it this time. One reason I skimmed it though is I wasn't able to open any of the picture attachments. I like pictures or should I say need them.

I'm signed in, but it kept saying I was unable to view pictures because I didn't have authorization to view them?? any ideas?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM

How many millions of Chrysler minivans in the world run just fine without that modification? I can change a T-stat faster than I can change the oil.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 12-10-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
How many millions of Chrysler minivans in the world run just fine without that modification? I can change a T-stat faster than I can change the oil.
HiYa Raptor 07,

- how long does it take to change a stat on a Mk 3 diesel ?
- where is the stat located on a Mk 3 diesel ?
- how much is a [$140] replacement stat for a Mk 3 diesel ?

Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 PM

mine isn't diesel, and it's only a 15 dollar part.

anyway, it took 5 minutes to change and after a 15 min of city of hwy and city driving, I barely reached the quarter mark on my temp gauge. The van had only been sitting for about an hour after a 45 minute drive.

There didn't appear to be anything wrong with the t-stat I took out either. It was "closed" when I took it out, so it obviously wasn't stuck open, which was what I thought.

Not sure where to look next. It's cold here, but it's been colder and I didn't have this problem before.

Quick Reply: Temp guage reading cool