Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

thinking of installing freeview box in 2006 grand voyager advise pls?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Default thinking of installing freeview box in 2006 grand voyager advise pls?

Hi i have 2006 grand voyager with dvd system installed, wanted to install freeview for the kids so they can watch kids channel rather then dvds,

has anyone done something like this on the their own voyager or what are the best options for the freeview?

Regards
Shaz

Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 AM

Hi!

I can think of a few problems with this off the top of my head. Firstly assuming UK here as we went all digital throughout the UK, so freeview tuner needed?

I'd also assume you'd only want to use it for short journeys, as long journeys you'd have to constantly be re-tuning as different parts of the UK use different freeview MUXs for the channels, retuning would be a pain. Also the aerial may be problematic as the signals for freeview are a lot more directional which may cause problems for the old uni-directional aerials (Not tested this though).

Apart from that, most freeview boxes could be powered from a 12v supply as a lot have step-down transformers in them, or use a 12-240 inverter.

In mine there are the 3 phono leads fitted to the side panel just behind the passenger-side rear sliding door, does yours have these? If so you can test by plugging into those and switching to the DVD channel, you should get output.

If thats the case then a more permanent way of doing it would be to either wire in behind those sockets directly (might be easiest as behind there is a lot of panel space, and a handy little storage compartment with opening door which I bet a freeview receiver would fit in nicely).

Sorry for nothing more specific, if you have any bits you've tried/thought of feel free to share and I might be able to help?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Hello,
Thanks for your response, Yes mine is a UK model I'm in London wanted to use freeview rather then DVD's but as you say it wont work everywhere unless retuned well I don't want to be retuning while driving so I guess I'll stick with DVD's also you said you have phono input on the side doors I have them on my dvd player mine is 2006 stow and go model don't think mine has them on the side doors I'll have a look anyway, haven't had the car for long, so the freeview money will be going towards LPG conversion.
Regards
Shaz