Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Towing Package Changes 2011 to 2012

Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Default Towing Package Changes 2011 to 2012

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 2011 or a 2012 Town & Country (Touring-L or Limited). Either way, the towing package is a must. I've noticed that the details listed for the towing packages are very different. 2011 info specifies "heavy duty engine cooling, heavy duty radiator and heavy duty transmission oil cooler" in addition to the load leveling and wiring harness. 2012 info includes a Class II towing hitch receiver with the load leveling and wiring harness, but does not mention any of the "heavy duty" equipment.

I'd like to have this vehicle for a good 8 to 10 years and the heavy duty equipment seems like the smart choice to prevent any unnecessary wear and tear. Does anyone know why the 2012 model no longer includes these items? Or, are they now standard equipment?

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 PM

I noticed that also about the 2012's
I just purchased a 2011 because of the "heavy duty" stuff, Not that we tow with it; we just thought it could help with the longevity of the engine & tranny. We do load the van with adults going to football games so the load leveling was a must.
I purchased a class III hitch for bike racks (most racks and trailers need a 2" receiver, thus the class III)
I am not sure why Chrysler does not list the items listed on the 2011's nor why they are now including a small class II hitch?
You could ask a dealer but good luck, they do not have a clue and will give you some lame answer......

Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM

The 2012 Town & Country Touring, Touring L and Limited all have the following listed as standard equipment:

HEAVY DUTY ENGINE COOLING (NMC)
HEAVY DUTY RADIATOR (NMR)
HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER (NHD)

The Trailer Tow Group (sales code AHT) Includes:
CLASS II RECEIVER HITCH (XFN)
LOAD LEVELING AND HEIGHT CONTROL(SER)
TRAILER TOW WIRING HARNESS (XEY)

I hope this information is helpful.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. I am amazed by the vast improvements in the Chrysler vehicles over the last couple of years. I've owned a couple of T&C's in the past and the latest models are worlds apart from those (even though they were decent vehicles too). Let the critics have their Hondas and Toyotas .... I'm buying another Chrysler!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 AM

I may be biased but I agree, even the 2011 Town & Country made some headway in the auto industry.

The 2011 Chrysler Town & Country was the highest ranked minivan in initial quality by J.D. Power & Associates and was named a Consumers Digest Best Buy. It has more standard features on the base model than Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna base models and also has more innovative seating and storage than Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna

All Town & Country trim levels include a standard package of 42 technologically-advanced and intuitive safety and security features, including Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers, SmartBeamTM Intelligent Headlamps, ParkSense® Rear Park Assist4, Rear Cross-Path Detection4, ParkView® Back-up Camera4, Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)5, and Tire Pressure Monitoring.

Looking for these features on another minivan? Keep looking. Rear Cross-Path Detection is a class-exclusive feature found on no other vehicle in its class. And Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers, Blind Spot Monitoring and SmartBeam Intelligent Headlamps are only found on one Town & Country competitor.

The 2011 Town & Country applies some of the most advanced automotive engine technology available today for an exceptional blend of high torque, fuel efficiency, low emissions, and first-rate noise, vibration, and harshness control. In fact, Town & Country’s remarkable engine churns out more horsepower and torque than any other vehicle in the premium minivan segment. No wonder this powerplant has been named one of Ward’s 10 Best Engines for 2011.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Quick question for ChryslerCares, why was the wiring harness for the trailer lights handed to me in a bag requiring me to install it?? shouldn't this have been installed by the factory or dealer as part of the tow package??

Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM

The '12's also include Bigger brakes (Rotors, calipers & pads) on both front and back.. Among other changes (all come with 17" rims/tires.. leather standard on ALL models, 2nd row DVD standard on both Tourings.. etc).

As for the wiring, I've seen a '12 with the towing package, and the wiring was already installed, the hitch did in fact have a 2" opening.. The only Mopar hitch I think you can buy has the 2" opening.. but even looking at the sites that carry it, I don't recall seeing any class ratings for it..

We just ordered a '12 and the dealer said the wiring is installed.. and he agreed if it doesn't they'll do it.. mounted to hitch, 7 pin setup.

I'm hoping mine comes the same way.

JK

Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 AM

skers,

I would agree, the dealership should have installed the wiring prior to it leaving the dealership. The electrical connections should have been all complete to the vehicle except for you having to mate the harness to a trailer connector.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 AM

When you say "should have installed" does this mean it is Chrysler's policy or it is up to the dealer to decide if he wants to? I am trying to get ammo when I go in to talk to the dealer about this.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 PM

It's official.... we signed papers for a 2012 Town & Country Limited last night. The vehicle we chose had the towing package and 2nd row fixed bucket seats in addition to the long list of standard features. At the end of the game we were about 6% below the sticker price. Not sure how well that compares to other folks, but I think it's a good deal....looking forward to many good years with this fine automobile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing Package Changes 2011 to 2012