Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Town and Country A/C Evaporator Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Default Town and Country A/C Evaporator Removal Question

I'm not sure if it's bravery or stupidity, but I am tackling the infamous a/c evaporator replacement job on my 2001 T&C. I have read all of the info I can find online and printed out a couple of checklists I found on the 'net, but they gloss over the bit where I'm stuck.

Specifically, I have the dash lowered and the heater box exposed, but I'm apparently missing something that still needs to be loosened or whatever because it won't budge. I have thus far removed removed the following -

* the three nuts on the engine side of the firewall

* disconnected the two heater hoses

* disconnected the lines at the expansion valve plate

* one bolt at the top of a bracket above the box inside the vehicle.
The bracket goes down the middle of the box and two screws at the bottom of the bracket connect it to the box.

The heater box still won't budge and I don't want to put much pressure on it in case there is something I've overlooked.

The checklists I have say this in reference to removing the heater box -

"Disconnect the two upper mounts from the upper reinforcement and the lower mount from the tunnel."

Where are these upper and lower mounts specifically? I'm not seeing them and the checklists I have don't provide photos.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 PM

The dash needs to be out not lowered. It's a good idea to have it out of the car so you don't poke holes in your seats moving it around. Did you take out the steering column? Also take some pics here and there, so you remember where it all goes back in.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-22-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.....(let sit for 15 minutes)
  2. Remove the lower console:
    1. Remove six retaining screws.
    2. Pull rearward and disconnect the auxiliary power outlet.
    3. Remove lower console from vehicle.
  3. Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the instrument panel frame
  4. Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the floor pan.
  5. Disconnect the wire connectors from the Passenger Airbag.
  6. Remove the two screws to each right and left cowl trim covers.
  7. Remove the both left and right side A-pillar trim covers using a trim stick (special tool #C-4755) or equivalent gently pry out on the trim covers and remove.
  8. Remove the glove box:
    1. Push in on sides of glove box bin and lower door.
    2. Pivot glove box downward and disengage hinge hooks from instrument panel.
    3. Remove glove box from vehicle.
  9. Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.
  10. Remove the four screws to the lower steering column cover.
  11. Remove the eight screws to the steering column backing plate.
  12. Unclip the Data Link Connector (DLC) from the steering column backing plate.
  13. Remove two screws to the left side instrument panel silencer and remove
  14. Disconnect the left side wiring:
    1. Brake switch.
    2. Main bulkhead connector.
    3. Five harness connectors.
    4. Driver airbag connector.
  15. Remove the two screws to the hood release handle.
  16. Remove five screws to steering column backing plate and remove
  17. Remove the two steering column shroud retaining screws. Separate the shrouds and remove from vehicle.
  18. Remove the screws attaching the instrument panel reinforcement and remove
  19. Disconnect the steering column wiring. There are seven connectors and then unclip the harness from the column.
  20. Disconnect the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) harness connector.
  21. Remove the four nuts retaining the steering column to the dash panel steering column mounting bracket and lower column to the floor
  22. Remove the four nuts attaching the instrument panel to the brake pedal support bracket.
  23. Loosen the left side roll down bolt
  24. Remove the left side A-pillar retaining bolts. There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt.
  25. If equipped with a mechanical transmission range indicator:
    1. Remove the indicator cable loop.
    2. Remove the clip holding gear shift cable end to the gear selector adapter.
    3. Pull the cable end from gear selector.
    4. Disconnect the clip for the indicator cable and guide tube from the shift cable bracket and move out of the way.
  26. Remove the instrument panel top cover. Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry up on the front edge of the top cover, pull rearward and remove from vehicle.
  27. Disconnect the right side wire connectors from the HVAC behind the glove box area and the two antenna connectors behind the glove box hinge.
  28. Remove the right end cover by pulling outboard.
  29. Remove the right side A-pillar retaining bolts. There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt.
  30. Loosen the right side roll down bolt.
  31. Disconnect the two front window defroster grid wire connectors. One on each side of vehicle.
  32. Remove both the left and right power mirrors:
    1. Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry out on mirror trim cover.
    2. Open door and remove the three torx retaining screws.
    3. Disconnect the wire connector and remove mirror from the vehicle.
  33. Feed power mirror wire harness inboard through the A-pillar.
  34. Remove the bolts attaching the instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening.
  35. With the help of an assistant remove the instrument panel from vehicle. Lift the instrument panel up off the HVAC so you won't damage the sealing surface of the distribution duct.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-22-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

U are gonna be mad Have u looked at the ac condenser first? the like to leak at the lower pass side corner what will look like a wet spot In all of the 15 years I have never replaced an evap on an 01 to 06 mini van 96 to 00 yes

Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
U are gonna be mad Have u looked at the ac condenser first? the like to leak at the lower pass side corner what will look like a wet spot In all of the 15 years I have never replaced an evap on an 01 to 06 mini van 96 to 00 yes
True that. Very few 01-07. Quite a few rear evaps though.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 AM

Thanks, but the dash is already out, it's the heater/a/c evaporator box I'm having an issue with.

The leak was diagnosed to the evaporator by charging the system and using dye. The dealer quoted $1500 and two independents between $1300 - $1400. From what I've read and been told by the mechanics I talked to about this problem, the evaporators front and rear were a fairly common issue on the Chrysler vans of that era. I've also seen posts on forums all the way back to 2004 talking about leaking front evaporators on 2001's. The 2004 thread I saw was reference a 2001 T&C, only three years old with 46k miles, so hence out of warranty.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Let us know how they turn out then