Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Default Trailer Wiring

Hello,

I just installed an aftermarket trailer hitch on my '05 T &C. When I went to install the wiring harness, I ran into an issue. On the passenger side, the rear AC blocks access to the wiring from the tail light. From inside the van, I reached my arm in as far as it would go and could find no holes that I could snake the connectors through to get the connector to the tail light. The wiring connectors plug directly into the factoryconnector for the tail light.

Anybody have an experience with this?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Default RE: Trailer Wiring

Bill,
If you remove the light assembly you will see a large grommet, you should be able to cut it and fish the connectors through. I would consider sealing up the cut with either RTV or maybe crazy glue. BTW, does your harness tap into the backup lights for trailer brakes?
Greg

Old 07-07-2007, 08:57 AM

one for Chrysler Tech on related topic -

What can you tell me about the trailer towing harness? I have a Haynes book that shows it sort of but does not actually show the harness, only locations where it ties in. I've heard that the factory harness has a relay for the running lights. Also, is it a 4 wire or 7? Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Greg

Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Do u want a pin out of what each wire is as far as power ,ground and turn lights? that i can do What a van will have is a 4 way a 7 way is for trucks that haul 7000 lbs or more. What year and engine and I will tell u if there is a relay and such.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 PM

Chrysler tech,
Sorry for the delay, things have been rather hectic here. This is what I have, 2005 town and country Touring with SnG. I need to wire it for trailer lights which would include a backup light signal to operate a solenoid for trailer brakes. I understand that the BCM is what drives the backup lights and that there is no external circuit protection for it. I am considering installing a relay/diode/fuse unit in line with the backup light wire to the trailer. I have a Haynes wiring diagram as well as one from a place called Mitchell Repair Information. I also intend to install a T connector just to make things easier and also install a Modulite unit which isolates the vans electrical system from the trailer. The trailer lights only draw about 2.8 amps for running lights, .7 for turn signals and .5 for the backing solenoid. My biggest concern is not having any protection and having a short take out something expensive in the van. I know most of this is overkill but better safe than poor! Can you assist in some way?
Thanks,
Greg

Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

If u get a chryser wire harness it will have all of the built into it and its plug and play.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 PM

Ended up getting a T harness and a Reese Modulite for protection. I still need to tap off for the backup light circuit, any suggestions on where to tap into? Obviously it will be inside the body rather than by the tailights. This circuit will have a relay, fuse and diodes for the ultimate protection.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

18WT/LG thats the wire where it goes cant help u on that one.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

thanks Chrysler tech -