Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Transaxle Oil Cooler in Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Question Transaxle Oil Cooler in Radiator

I have a 2000 UK 3.3 Grand Voyager (GS Body - RHD) and wonder if anyone has experienced a failure of the transaxle oil cooler situated within the radiator and might suggest some representative symptoms likely to occur/be present in this event.

Very briefly, just 3 days after a full service during which the coolant level was checked and topped, the radiator was empty of coolant causing failure of the LPG gas regulator (car is converted to run on LPG) and thus failure of the LPG system - cause diagnosed as low coolant (took about a gallon of water) hence the rapid identification of the issue.

The coolant system has been inspected and the culprit is a failed thermostat, however there is some debate/concern over the residual sludge found upon flushing the system.

It is orangey in colour (as is the antifreeze I use) with slight oily residue. The engine oil and transaxle oil levels are both good and clean (engine oil changed 3 days prior at service and transaxle oil level also checked) both have been rechecked today and both remain clear/clean and the transaxle oil has no 'burnt' odour to it.

Can anybody suggest whether this sludge is the likely normal product of 130000 miles of motoring (guessing here that the coolant has never been thoroughly flushed until today) or should I be concerned that the oil cooler has failed??

Any thoughts much appreciated...

Voyager Pilot.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM

I assume your LPG vaporizer froze up indicating no coolant.
ATF fluid coolers sometimes DO leak when in the bottom of the coolant radiator, but it's the coolant usually getting into the autobox in that case, needing new fluid at best or ruining the autobox altogether.
As you've found the coolant leak, I wouldn't worry any further, there's bound to be some crap in the bottom of the radiator after THAT mileage.
If you tow with your motor or do a lot of hill-climbing, a separate ATF cooler with a fan in it is good policy. The more you keep the ATF temp. down, the longer it will last.

Leedsman.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Thumbs up

Hi Leedsman,

Thanks for your reply.....and well diagnosed on the gas vapouriser that's exactly what happened cracked the valve inside due to freezing I am told also another small leak in the injector pipes..most likely same cause!

The rad has now been flushed through with water and all of the gloop removed also from the coolant reservoir bottle (Coolant Recovery System)....and the update, with the rad now flowing clear we can see tiny wisps of ATF rising in the coolant with the rad cap removed. Most likely a pin ***** hole in the oil cooler!

ATF in the box is clear (thank goodness) so the leak is currently small enough to be just the one way. I have removed the radiator off my old 98 LE which dropped a con rod through the block in 2009 and was fully serviceable to the end and with a good oil cooler...this is being fitted tomorrow.

Did get a fright mind you when I discovered the rads were different!! The old 98 has both primary and auxiliary water cooled oil coolers (1 in each tank end) with the 4 nipples connected in series by external pipes, whereas the 2000 has just a single oil cooler on the LH (filler neck) side and just 2 nipples. The auxiliary is now an air cooled mini rad suspended from the A/C condenser I guess this is still plumbed in series but the pipes are not visible ahead of the strip down.

Have been told just to leave the 2 nipple on the RH tank capped and just use the LH. Hope that I do not have any issues swapping out, if anyone has any sensible advice it will be most welcome....I'll post an update once completed.

Voyager Pilot