Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 AM
Question Tyre Wear

My front tyres are wearing unevenly on my '97 Grand Voyager. Before I take it to a tyre shop to look at the tracking. Does wear on the outside edge as pictured indicate any worn part I should be looking at first?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Do you feel or hear any knocking coming from the front. Tyre wear like this usually suggests alignment issues but as thats often just a symptom of worn steering.

The tie-rods/track-rods are notorious for wearing on these vans. Usually though, you notice a knock through the steering. The other possibility is that one of them has been hit at some point and bent.

However, they're not difficult to change and can be found easily. I bought a complete set from Jeep parts on eBay (UK). They included tie-rods and ends.

There are also other possibilities but these are the most likely.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Normally, front tyres wear more on the outside due to steering scrub and both road camber and wheel camber, but I remember in the 1970s Rolls Royce front tyres used to wear rather excessively on the outer edges, due to "the powered streering". I know because I would buy them second-hand quite cheaply for the american cars I used to run then (Buick Special, 1966 Ford Galaxy, Ford mustang). They were only £15 each for 90% tread on 15" rims (unusual then) and so light you could lift them with one little finger.
You gotta remember these GVs are heavy at 2.2 tons british, all the ironmongery is on top of the front wheels, AND the steering is well-powered...

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 11-18-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
Do you feel or hear any knocking coming from the front. Tyre wear like this usually suggests alignment issues but as thats often just a symptom of worn steering.

The tie-rods/track-rods are notorious for wearing on these vans. Usually though, you notice a knock through the steering. The other possibility is that one of them has been hit at some point and bent.

However, they're not difficult to change and can be found easily. I bought a complete set from Jeep parts on eBay (UK). They included tie-rods and ends.

There are also other possibilities but these are the most likely.
Thanks, the only time I get a knock is on full lock - turning round in a carpark sort of thing, so I guess even though its in frequent there is no smoke without fire. Wear is fairly even on both sides. Probably worth changing the tie-rods. Did you replace the inner and outer rods or just the outer? Thanks!

Last edited by nitro_warrior; 11-19-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Normally, front tyres wear more on the outside due to steering scrub and both road camber and wheel camber, but I remember in the 1970s Rolls Royce front tyres used to wear rather excessively on the outer edges, due to "the powered streering". I know because I would buy them second-hand quite cheaply for the american cars I used to run then (Buick Special, 1966 Ford Galaxy, Ford mustang). They were only £15 each for 90% tread on 15" rims (unusual then) and so light you could lift them with one little finger.
You gotta remember these GVs are heavy at 2.2 tons british, all the ironmongery is on top of the front wheels, AND the steering is well-powered...

Leedsman.
It did cross my mind that this might be a characteristic of what is effectively a big heavy van, but mine does seem excessive. I think getting the tie rods and tracking in order is probably the way to go. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:50 AM

I did both, on my van the problem lay with the inners so I figured it prudent to just replace all although on one side mine had a very pronounced knock. You could grab hold of it and really feel the play but the other side it was barely notable.

Since doing it though I've clocked up around 39.000 miles and tyre wear has been nice and even.