Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

U-Connect Town & Country Touring

Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Default U-Connect Town & Country Touring

I recently purchased 2008 T&C Touring.

It has one of the MyGiG type radios on it. On the control panel it has the control buttons for U-connect phone device. When the button is pressed it displays "U-connect not available". The salesperson explained that this feature was not included on my particular vehicle.

I would like to add/upgrade to add this to my MYGiG setup. I have called the dealer service department. They told me "we've never done one of those on a van before". But they seem to be sure I will need part number 82211878 "Hands Free Bluetooth Car Kit, connect phone" ($257 + tax + labor to install). Furthermore, they tell me that the installation of the kit will not activate the existing u- connect buttons on the radio. "A separate remote control module/panel will have to be installed"

This makes no sense to me. It seems to me that if the controls are already on the radio, it was intended to have this option either on it or available to be added. I would think that it would be a matter of reprogamming/activating a feature and the only hardware needed to be added would be say a mic; maybe some sort of electronic module.

Is there anyone out there who can give the straight dope on this issue. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Hi
Not so yours will be REN (none nav)unit yes? if you read the installation instructions here it will show you. http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3025&pc=37537

Old 03-28-2009, 05:48 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Okay, I have confirmed that I have an REN radio system.

I looked at the link that you put in your post. It refrenced the same part number that the dealer told me about.

The installation manual illustrations appear to confirm my idea that only a mic and some sort of mudule need to be added along with some reprogramming.

I told the dealer about this manual and they said they looked at it. They still claim that this installation will not activate the existing buttions and will require a separate set of buttons.

I'm still confused....any furhter information out there.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Maybe you need this

http://tinyurl.com/cw9e65

Or at least you can ask this seller (Mr. CD1). he has been selling chtsler radio stuff for many years.

I think the dealer may have to activate the uconnect with the "scan tool" once all the parts are installed.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:45 AM

Hi
I have fitted this kit (not on a ren) but on the one in the picture and if you run the install instructions and add it to the vehicle build it does turn on the U-Connect buttons.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM

That is what I thought. I think I need to find a dealer who knows what they are doing.

What type of radios did you fit the kit on of not an REN?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Also to give you another option if you want to sell your REN and upgrade to the RER nav unit as U-Connect is built in the nav unit so you only then need a mic and job done. I have done a number of these upgrades. Could be out of your price range but like to give options.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Default U-Connect Saga Epilogue

To finish this saga.........

I ordered the part number 82211878 "Hands Free Bluetooth Car Kit, connect phone". On April 8, 2009 I found a dealer (not the one I bought the van from) to install it.

They did it for approximately half the cost that the original dealer wanted [ $160 v.s. $325]. It works well and like it is supposed to. The U-connect buttons on the REN radio are functional.

The lesson learned here is 1.) find a dealer who knows what they are talking about and 2.) shop around for labor costs. There can be a lot of varriance.

I hope this helps someone else.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks for following through with your problem. Every time I need a dealer part, I call at least 3 dealers because the price difference can be huge like you say. Also.. chryslerpartspeople.com have good prices somtimes as well.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Default U-Connect

Hello NewTouringOwner2008. I'm in the same process trying to get a u-conect. Where did you get that job done? Was that including labor?. I would appreciate if you let me know the dealer. I'm in Raleigh NC

Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: U-Connect Town & Country Touring