Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

UK 2.8 CRD starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Default UK 2.8 CRD starting problems

Hi
Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD diesel automatic, 2005, 190,000 miles.

1. Warm start.
Reluctant to start when hot. Always does start but can take 4 or 5 attempts. If the engine is upto normal temperature it will restart, no problem for upto something like 10 mins after stopping, then get the reluctance.
If I change the fuel filter (its in the engine bay, spin on type) then problem goes away for 2 to 3 thousand miles and then gradually returns.

My thoughts are I have algae in the fuel tank which blocks the filter up too quickly, so, treat with Grotomar and get ready to change filter a few times? I haven't cut open a filter to look. When I change it the filter material still looks white, viewed from the opening.

Or, the rubber seal on the filter shrinks and it sucks air?

I've read that the fuel filter housing can melt and leak? As far as I can see this is not the problem.

2. Cold start, in winter, the vehicle has done this from new. I never wait for glow plug light to go out, otherwise reluctant to start. Just turn the key and it starts, two winters ago I had white unburnt diesel smoke. Dealer wanted to send injectors away for testing. I changed the glowplug relay (heat damage) and replaced the fuel heater fuse and the white smoke problem went away (the fuse was blowing because of another heater, the one on the top of the engine, it was short circuit, I think its the crankcase heater? I unplugged it and replaced the fuse). This cold start isn't really a problem, I would just love to know what it is.

I think my problem is that I don't understand the (cold and hot) start circuit as much as I need to.

Any ideas guys?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 AM

Are you sure that your fuel heater is good? Did you unplug the connector and pumped?
Should be the RPM sensor, but....

Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 AM

Hi Joker2cv

If I understand you right.....disconnect the fuel heater at the filter housing and then pump the hand prime pump to check for leaks?

I understand the filter housing has a habit of melting (other threads on this forum). I will check and report back.
Many thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 AM

Yes, try to do this. 9/10 you'll find the problem

Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Question

Hi joker2cv

Ok, I pulled the fuel heater connector off (the one at the top/front of the housing) and pumped the hand prime pump untill it got difficult to pump, takes about 12 strokes. I couldn't see fuel leaking from anywhere, couldn't smell any either.

Now done 6k miles since filter was last changed (end March) so the filter is half way through its service life. Last 3 occasions I've changed the filter it fixes the problem. Starts to return after 2 or 3 k and slowly gets worse.

I feel another filter change comng on!

Any ideas?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 AM

Engine temperature sensor?
Engine compression?

Before attempt an engine hot starting, try to pump on the prime pump (on the top of filter): if the engine starts better then you can put a one-way valve before the filter housing.

P.S.: have you problems of engine cutting out on hard acceleration?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM

So, done a couple of hot starts after priming the hand pump and it worked both times. Will try some more and report back. Could just be coincidence.....but maybe not. If the fuel is draining back when hot why wouldn't I have same symptom from a cold start, something else is happening when engine is cold to compensate?

Thank you for your responses.

My Voyager has cut out about 6 times, not neccesarily under hard acceleration. First time was within a few hundred miles from new. Dealer found nothing. Did it about another 4 times in the first year, the last ime was 3 years ago and not happened since then (car is now coming up 7 years old).

Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 AM

Ok, tried pumping the hand pump to improve the hot start problem for a few days now and I don't think that it really helps. It's difficult to tell because it's not really a hard fault, doesn't always do it, depends how long the engine has cooled off for etc. If it does help, it's marginal.

Joker2cv, you mentioned engine temperature sensor, RPM sensor and compression, do you have any ideas how I go about eliminating them one by one?

Perhaps should add that its done 190,000 miles, but goes well. Doesn't seem down on power, idles ok, fuel consumption hasn't changed, doesn't use oil or coolant, doesn't overheat, works really well!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM

If the temperature gauge is ok, the sensor is ok too...
The RPM sensor could be ok at cold but not at hot, so you should change it.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Question

Temprature gauge is fine (thermostat replaced over a year ago).

I cant find the RPM sensor in my manual! Is it the camshaft and/or crankshaft sensor? Thats all I think it could be?

Quick Reply: UK 2.8 CRD starting problems