Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Voyager (GS 1996 - 2000) Recalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Question UK Voyager (GS 1996 - 2000) Recalls

Hi,

Hope somebody can help me with this.....

I am trying to locate the UK Recall instructions/part numbers for replacement parts applicable to the UK Chrysler recalls for the 2000
Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager Chrysler Voyager/Grand Voyager
& known as the GS in Europe. Ideally in a PDF format if at all possible.

Have been advised that a UK recall (possibly 980?) was issued to dealers for the 2000 model year vehicles fitted with 4 wheel discs and handbrake (hand operated parking brake) so I guess not necessarily common with LHD US models fitted with the foot operated parking brake?

I have been told variously that:

(a) This recall fitted only a special clip .......and
(b) Fitted a clip AND a new (shorter) brake cable.

I currently have a parking brake issue (fails government safety test (MOT)), Discs, Pads and Shoes replaced on rear. Rear Left, Right and Intermediate brake cables about to be changed but now aware of this recall and not sure on correct part numbers/components involved nor how to source if required??

NB. No outstanding recalls on vehicle so replaced item(s) MAY now have failed??

Would appreciate your advice/help in sourcing the documents covering this.

Many thanks,

Voyager Pilot

Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM

Yes there was an issue with the belcrank mechanism of the handbrake on the manual versions but to be honest the fix was crap too. Best way to get through the MOT is to get your mechanic to adjust the brake shoes properly before going to the test. The handbrake a on these cars are rubbish. We would be better off carrying a brick in the car, jumping out each time we park and shove it behind the back wheel .

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Question

Hi Glowplug,

Thanks for your very prompt response.....certainly do agree with the brick behind the wheel approach! ....and maybe even better to throw one out as an anchor!!

My mechanic has adjusted the brake shoes correctly (in my presence!) and as noted despite new Discs/Pads & Shoes and correct shoe tension at the wheel (star-wheel adjustment) still well below satisfactory tolerance on test (mechanic is also test station).

I find all of this doubly frustrating given my vehicle is an 'automatic', the handbrake is thus largely redundant as the vehicle is always in 'Park' when not in motion.....so all of this added expense and additional work is merely to satisfy VOSA for the issue of an MOT.

Interested in your comments on the bellcrank issue though (as mine is an 3.3LX Auto)....did the handbrake recall only apply to the manual versions then? ...or does that explain the difference of opinion regards the clip/clip & cable combination - auto vs manual?

I love this vehicle to bits, and being disabled it is the only vehicle I have yet found which enables easy ingress/exit and yet is comfortable on any length of journey and thus not leaving me in crippling pain!

As I have an engineering background I have always been keen to understand what is going on and this enables me to enjoy an excellent dialogue with my mechanic. Over the years I have amassed a wealth of Technical Documents (service manuals/parts catalogues and such like) to aid in this process.

Unfortunately I have only been able to gain a limited insight into Chrysler's UK specific technical info hence being aware of the recall but little else. I have gathered some Recall notifications and TSB's relevant to the US market (NS) variant which have proved very valuable in gaining a thorough understanding of such issues but I feel it would be helpful to view the same in respect of the UK model especially now that obsolescence rapidly approaches!

With this in mind, do you know how/where I might be able to access these TSB's/recalls and the specifics of UK only modifications and special fittings (e.g. I now have detailed technical documents on the May & Schofield Alarm/Immobilisers fitted to the UK vehicles). This can only help keep the old girl up to speed in the years to come!

Many thanks,

Voyager Pilot

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Interesting this. Mine isn't identical but myself and my father had to do some rather drastic repairs to the hand-brake on mine recently for a similar problem getting it through MOT.

Mine is 2.8CRD 2003/4 model though, so not identical.

I found that when the pads were well down when pulling the hand-brake on it would click a couple of times then suddenly release all the way up with no friction. You then would have to put it back down and re-apply gently so as not to go past the sudden release point.

We took the handbrake surrounding in the cabin apart and found that the spring was probably loosing its tension a little over the years and so it wasn't gripping the brake cable immediately. This then caused the travel to go a little further than it should and has actually worn a groove into the metal plate that should stop the lever from moving too far. We fixed this by welding a new metal plate on to work around the worn groove, but also adjusted the cable and spring itself to give it more tension which appeared to help.

This also coupled with that annoying little star-wheel adjustment very carefully whilst jacked up sorted it out for me.

Hope that helps in some way, might be worth taking a look at the components in the cabin too as it sounds like you've covered the brake/adjustment.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM

I did mine just 6 weeks ago, I had the benefit of 'warming gear' and full size ramps, in fact I borrowed a 'test station' for the SUNday. I had a pig of a job getting both sides anywhere near % efficient and anywhere near balanced left to right. My conclusion was the whole parking brake arrangement is not fit for purpose for a vehicle of this weight .. .. even when they work the way they should.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 AM

You can check your recalls here

Chrysler - Contact Us

Follow the "I need RECALL OR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION INFORMATION" and then on the bottom left side of the page in the TINY box just type in the last 8 characters of your VIN number. Chrysler is a global company so don't worry that this is the US site your car will come up.

My car is the 2.5TD with a manual shift gearbox and it comes up........I would never drive the auto-variants as they are tooooo heavy on fuel. I get 35 around town and 42 on the open road PLUS I never have to worry about cam belts as the engine has a gear driven camshaft :-)

Last edited by glowplug; 06-20-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by glowplug
I never have to worry about cam belts as the engine has a gear driven camshaft :-)
True, you are a lucky fellah, an excellent but expensive option these days - that VM Motori marine diesil unit is in the Range-Rover Frontera, and Scorpio amongst others.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Hi everyone,

....and thanks for the informative replies....

Glowplug

Follow the "I need RECALL OR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION INFORMATION" and
then on the bottom left side of the page in the TINY box just type in the last 8
characters of your VIN number. Chrysler is a global company so don't worry that
this is the US site your car will come up.
Good call....has identified a D17 Clockspring Recall outstanding, will book that in with the dealer.. But still no info pertaining to the 'completed' 980 Parking Brake recall.....so still in the dark as to what that involves

Andyb2000

We took the handbrake surrounding in the cabin apart and found that the spring was probably loosing its tension a little over the years and so it wasn't gripping the brake cable immediately. This then caused the travel to go a little further than it should and has actually worn a groove into the metal plate that should stop the lever from moving too far. We fixed this by welding a new metal plate on to work around the worn groove, but also adjusted the cable and spring itself to give it more tension which appeared to help.
That's why I am after the 980 recall info involving lockout clip/lockout clip & cable....think that might be why this was performed....has mine failed though??

Quinteq

I did mine just 6 weeks ago, I had the benefit of 'warming gear' and full size ramps, in fact I borrowed a 'test station' for the SUNday. I had a pig of a job getting both sides anywhere near % efficient and anywhere near balanced left to right. My conclusion was the whole parking brake arrangement is not fit for purpose for a vehicle of this weight .. .. even when they work the way they should.
Agreed with that...lol

Glowplug

I would never drive the auto-variants as they are tooooo heavy on fuel. I get 35 around town and 42 on the open road PLUS I never have to worry about cam belts as the engine has a gear driven camshaft :-)
That's why mine runs on LPG 66p/ltr just now....

Does any forum member know of a friendly UK Chrysler Tech (whatever happened to Merlintec?) who might have access to/send by PM the 980 recall/other recall info/tsb's etc ???

Thanks again,

Voyager Pilot

Old 06-21-2013, 02:02 PM

The D17 is a lifetime repair so no matter how many times the clockspring fails they HAVE to replace it FOC. Do NOT let your dealet fob you off with any BS. Wait for your horn to stop working and your airbag light to come on and then have it done. Also fo a search on the internet for the D17 pdf print it out and keep it in your glovebox to shove under their noses if they give you uphill. If you can't find it search ebay for my Chrysler Voyager review as i have put the link in there

Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Thumbs up Safety Recall No 980 Parking Brake Lockout Clip & Lever Cable

Hi to everyone....

I have finally been able to locate a copy of the 980 recall and offer below a link to the information in the hope it will prove beneficial to anybody else who is struggling with this issue.....

Parking Brake Recall - 980 .pdf - PDF Archive

Voyager Pilot