Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade EVS & uConnect on 2010 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Default Upgrade EVS & uConnect on 2010 T&C

I recently purchased a 2010 T&C touring that came with the 130 RES radio. I wanted to upgrade this to have bluetooth connectivity, nav, IPOD connectivity and a single rear video screen. I am now asking for some advice in order to get the system to fully work.

After researching I found the parts that I needed and ordered them. I performed the installation myself carefully following all of the installation guides. It took almost a full day to install all the new parts and wiring.

The list of parts are:
  • Bluetooth Handsfree 82211878 (This comes with a module, cable and a small microphone)
  • IPOD Integration cable 82212000 ( this comes with a cable to connect to the IPOD)
  • Radio 82212009 (This is the RER radio)
  • Production Overhead Single 9" screen 82211707 (a signle screen, with cables, remote, 2 headsets & new rear side panel to permit an external video connection)

On powering up, i found I could do the following:
  • Able to listen to both AM and FM radio, I did not subscribe to Sirius radio
  • Play a DVD and see it on the radio screen only
  • Able to connect my cell phone via bluetooth to the system, retrieving voice messages, I could hear the messages on the car's speaker system
  • NAV functions worked

What did not work so far:
  • The voice response, I could not respond to voice commands or use the micro phone with my cellular connection
  • The rear video screen shows a split screen 1 and 2.
  • The remote could bring up a menu on the split screen 1 side but I could not scroll through the menu
  • The DVD movie would not show on the rear screen.

I noticed in the instruction manual that I need to register the system with my VIN # and this is done as a software update at the dealer. Would this get the additional functionality I am looking for? The dealer is not giving me a straight answer on this and I can understand this from his perspective based on the customer performing the installation.

I am thinking of re-opening the dash to get at the radio to double check the connections. I am sure I did everything right. But before I do this I thought I would ask this forum for any suggestions, insights based on experience of performing this work.

Thanks
Dave

Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM

The new items you installed have to be enabled with a scan tool. The gateway module stores all the info on the vehicle's module configuration. Yes, some functions will not work until this is done. Right now it's just seeing an unidentified item on the BUS. I would highly advise subscribing to satellite radio when you get done. You will really like it! Especially if you spend alot of time in your car. Sirius is awesome.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-21-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Default Status - Upgrade EVS & uConnect on 2010 T&C

As you suggested I went to the dealer to have the devices activated via their scan tool. Please keep the documentation that came with the equipment as the dealer needs this sales activation code for the system to work. The video function worked but none f the voice response or iPod functions would work. The dealer reported there was an error code on the bus. As it turned out I installed the wrong parts for the bluetooth and iPOD. The radio that I installed already had the bluetooth capability built in.

So instead of parts Bluetooth Handsfree 82211878 and the IPOD Integration cable 82212000, the following components are needed to compatible with the above radio system:
  • 82211743-AB Adapter (this includes a wiring harness plus the microphone)
  • 82211853 Wiring (this is the wiring harness to connect the iPOD from the radio)
Surprising the dealer had to consult with Chrysler to know what parts to order as their support manuals or parts descriptions do not provide a clear direction on which parts can work with others.

With the above installed, I found everything to work as expected. The system works well. It allows a video to be played for the back passengers while one can listen to the radio. It also allows the passengers to plug their own video source into the system for viewing on the screen. Well worth the upgrade.

Dave

Old 11-16-2010, 08:40 AM

Well, there is actually a training course for these systems...believe it or not. If you are a dealer tech or salesman you will be lost without it.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:49 PM

David, I have a question. When you installed the rear DVD screen, did you have to run wires up to the dash or was they already there?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Default EVS Wiring

When you order the rear screen kit it comes with a cable. I found one was not installed when I removed the overhead panel. The cable is thick with a number of connectors at each end. You need to make sure you install the right end. I made a mistake as I found this out and needed to re-install the cable. You will also find that the rear plug interface panel beside the rear sliding door needs to change and a cable has to be installed from the overhead console to this panel. This will allow you to plug external video sources to the overhead rear screen. I found using a fish cable helped with the installation of the cable. Also make sure you use every cable tie that comes with the kit to secure the cable against the frame. This will avoid any aftermath rattles and wear on the cable. MY system works great and I found one rear screen to be sufficient for my use. The wireless headphone is a nice touch and useful.
Dave

Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Well, I ordered my front and rear overhead VES from ebay. The parts guy at my local Chrysler dealer told me that all the wires from the radio to the dvd screens are already installed. All I have to do is take down my existing overhead console and attached the overhead console with the DVD screens. I prayed that he was right. I figured the external video wire needed to be ran since I don't have it now. I have a few questions for you.

1. Did you have to run any wires from the dvd screen to the front dash?
2. Where did you get a fishing tool for the wires.
3. Any tips you wish to share?

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM

Another question, did your van already come with the overhead console that almost runs the entire length of the van? Mine has 3 flip down storage compartments in the back. It is where the screens are located.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 PM

My vehicle was a T&C 2010 Touring model. It cam with the overhead console as you described with the 3 individual flip down compartments. The radio was the basic two **** version. in my caee I installed the screen in the first compartment and use the second compartment to store the wireless headphones. After using the vehicle for a while i realize that I wanted to have a vehicle equipped with bluetooth for phone calls, a navigation function and back seat video screen. Thus after searching the web and various site I decided to buy the various packages as noted in my first note in the forum. Installing the system took all day. Before starting I picked up a tool from a local auto store that is use to pry apart the plastic clips that hold certain plastic panels together. Also a torx wrench set as you will need it for various screws. I started with the dash and taking the old radio out and then the side trim and the overhead consoles. I study the installation interactions carefully to fully understand the pictures and the instructions are pictorial. Once I completed the installation I need to take the vehicle to a local Chrysler dealership to update the computer configuration so that the new radio/ EVS system would be recognize and operate. I have been using the system for a year now and it has been great.
The fishing tool that I used is a common one that you can buy from Home Depot. It comes in a coli and I found it useful in fishing the wire from the overhead console to the rear panel as well as from the overhead console to the side door pillar,. I would first pull a string through followed by pulling the cable through. When I did the initial installation I wished I also installed the sirius antenna. For this you have to run a much smaller cable from the radio to the back of the vehicle inside the various side panels.
I doubt that the EVS cabling is in place when you pull the overhead console down. At least this is true for the 2010 version. I am not sure if this was changed for 2011.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM

My van already has the Sirius antenna and receiver installed. Did the dealership charge anything for updating your computer?

Quick Reply: Upgrade EVS & uConnect on 2010 T&C