Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

voyager cuts out at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Default voyager cuts out at idle

Hi all i hope someone can help. I have a 2001 limited edition voyager. It has a problem with cutting out at idle. It runs fine otherwise with no problem when you slow down at a junction it just dies. Any help would be great thanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:15 AM

Generally speaking, check out the routine stuff, e.g. is there a tiny air leak somewhere in the air inlet to the engine area? This is often caused by small cracks in plastic parts, perished/damaged rubber pipes. In a petrol engine, loss of depression means loss of proper microprocessor control and it may be organized to shut down the engine. Could be leaky parts around the throttle body area and so on. Could be just a rather clogged air cleaner.
Hope this helps.

Leedsman.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Generally speaking, check out the routine stuff, e.g. is there a tiny air leak somewhere in the air inlet to the engine area? This is often caused by small cracks in plastic parts, perished/damaged rubber pipes. In a petrol engine, loss of depression means loss of proper microprocessor control and it may be organized to shut down the engine. Could be leaky parts around the throttle body area and so on. Could be just a rather clogged air cleaner.
Hope this helps.

Leedsman.
Thanks for reply. Will check today. Was thinking maybe cam sensor.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:47 PM

The Idle Air Control (IAC) valve is there to maintain idle RPM when you slow for a stop, turn on the A/C, turn the steering wheel or put it in gear. Is idle unstable for all of those instances? It only comes into play when your foot is off the gas pedal.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Will try this tommorrow . I have got a full service kit for it. Which I will carry out tommorrow incase its a blocked filter or something. Where would I find this valve. When it cuts out it just die straight away. No spluttering just drops.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
The Idle Air Control (IAC) valve is there to maintain idle RPM when you slow for a stop, turn on the A/C, turn the steering wheel or put it in gear. Is idle unstable for all of those instances? It only comes into play when your foot is off the gas pedal.
Have carried out a full service today changed all filters fuel air and oil. Still the same issue. I cleaned the throttle body out because it was a bit clogged up. I had a replacement clock spring for it but it turned out to be broke so didnt fit it. When I took the car for a drive I noticed that when the engine went to cut out the cruise control light would flick on at the same time everytime. Could the clock spring make this happen. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by godsall84
Have carried out a full service today changed all filters fuel air and oil. Still the same issue. I cleaned the throttle body out because it was a bit clogged up. I had a replacement clock spring for it but it turned out to be broke so didnt fit it. When I took the car for a drive I noticed that when the engine went to cut out the cruise control light would flick on at the same time everytime. Could the clock spring make this happen. Any help would be gratefully recieved.
- yes the clock spring is a good bet and needs to be eleimated
- the clock spring [also known as the air bag squib] is a common problem
- Chrysler issued a safety recall in 2004 for this on models manufactured between 1996 > 2000
- 1.2 million vehicles worldwide

Symptoms are air bag warning light intermittently or constantly illuminated or failing to illuminate when ignition is turned on Horn not working, Cruise control not working. Scanning for a Diagnostic trouble Code [DTC] will usually discover a code that relates to driver Squib Circuit Open which will confirm that the clock spring is faulty and indeed needs replacing.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 AM

Does this happen every time or will it run fine for a while then start cutting out?
Mine is fine to and from work down country lanes but as soon has I head into town sat in traffic it used to cut out every time I went to pull away. I think I've solved it as last 2 trips I've had no problems and all the times before it was a nightmare.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nosmo
Does this happen every time or will it run fine for a while then start cutting out?
Mine is fine to and from work down country lanes but as soon has I head into town sat in traffic it used to cut out every time I went to pull away. I think I've solved it as last 2 trips I've had no problems and all the times before it was a nightmare.
What was the problem with yours. It cut out only when slowing at a junction or sat at the loghts. Thanks

Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 AM

I went through the filters and checked all the electrical connection a with no luck but changed the mprop valve and it now appears to be OK but it is early days as I've only done two trips in major traffic. I bought a secondhand one to try and so far so good but only time will tell. I was getting P1130 code and I think the valve was sticking at idle. I've got the old valve if you want any numbers off it to try and get a new one (mine is a 2001 2.5 crd). Knowing how frustrating this is I'm happy to try and help!

Quick Reply: voyager cuts out at idle