Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the Good oil for 2.5 crd

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Default whats the Good oil for 2.5 crd

Can people please recomend good oil for my 2.5 crd voyager. 2005 y.

will this be any good Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W40 Diesel Oil 5L

I looked many of them but all these specifications and requirements drive me crazy. Last time i bought Halford brand one that Halfords website showed up but now want something better and really dont know anymore.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:00 AM
tfb

pretty much any 10w40 engine oil will be good enough - with the exception of the real cheap and nasty stuff.
I buy 25lt cans of chevron from costco as I go through a fair bit. Most of the blurb and pretty pictures on the cans are just marketing, so don't bother with premium just go for a mid price one

Regards
Richard

Old 12-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Oil discussions are like political or religion discussions

Personally I did a lot of research about engine oil, OCI and the myths around it all.
I came to the conclusion that especially diesel engines greatly benefit from fully synthetic oils due to heavy use.
Full Synth makes your OCI (Oil Change Interval) much longer too.
Also the myth "cheap oil is just as good as brand oil" is not true.

So I would recommend 5W30(or 40) Fully Synthetic oil from a decent brand A (like Shell. Mobile, Valvoline, Rotella) and change your oil every 20-30K km

Thats my opinion but backed up by many oil guru's opinions

Note: especially Americans seem scared by long OCI but 30K km is completely safe for your engine when used normally and with synth oil.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:58 PM

I read an article not long ago about the fluids used in cars, from brake fluid to antifreeze to engine oil. As to using fully Synthetic oil it gave various reasons for not using it and you sort of wondered why it was ever made. But I don't have it to hand at mo but will add it on here tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:51 PM

Well for any argument anyone can google evidence or testimony's for any point of view, thats why I settled for the "consensus view" among authorities in the field.
The idea behind synthetic oil is (simplified) that the synth base together with all additives hold their capacities a lot longer so OCI's can be (a lot) longer.

Brand A oils hold better and more dopes and additives so they keep doing their job (containing pollution, cleaning and lubricating) a lot longer. Brand A oils are mostly leading in developing newer and better additives too.

Mineral oils can be as good as synths but need to be changed a lot sooner due to wear and are somewhat less resistant to severe abuse like in heavily used engines. Diesels are considered "heavy use engines"

But Goggs, I'm curious to your article, I'm always open for new input.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:28 PM

I always use fully synth, I bought x4 5 litre bottles about 3 years ago of the Asda Gold stuff at half the price of Castrol Edge [widely regarded as Castrol made] while it was going cheap, did an oil change and I've still got x3 bottles left. Yes. before you ask about 2500 miles a year each year.
Name:  P1010554.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  114.4 KB

Old 12-18-2015, 10:43 AM

Well Well Well I here you's saying. Well had to get carried back on a flat bed lorry today, me, wife and two barking dogs. Thought it was the slack connection on starter coil again but looks like starter has gone to pearly gates. But to make sure I'll need to make sure of the connection at starter that it has got power. Will get back to ones.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Well had to trip back to 2013 for a bit info. Fully Synthetic oil is more stable in service and able to offer better protection at higher temperatures. The majority of performance engines now use fully-synthetic oil. So are we using performance engines or are we wasting money in using this oil.
The vast majority of oils are engine specific. More than 50% of cars require a specific oil. This is a critical Warranty requirement.
If your not sure check oil company websites and tap in your reg to find out.
There is a case of using right oil to protect Cats & DPF's.
As to these long life oils they have different Chemical Formulations.
They say the choice of oil depends on the age and value of your car. So for older high mileage cars there's little point in paying for top dollar grades.
So its up to you what you use but there are pointers here that you can't reject.

Last edited by goggs; 12-18-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: missed out an "e" in spelling.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:01 PM

I look at it the other way. Give the best you can and expect the best in return. I'm very low mileage and and infrequent use. Engine oil for me is a 6 year change. @ about £1.60 per year my outlay is little, protection is gold standard and work is zero[ish].

Old 12-18-2015, 01:06 PM

I put my reg into Mobil, Shell and Millers sites with following results.
Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 full synthetic.
Mobil Delvac 5w-40 Heavy Duty fully synthetic oil for off and onroad transport.
Millars Trident 5w-40 fully synthetic or XFE 10w-40 semi synthetic.
Yet again semi or full synthetic is ok. But as I said earlier if you abuse your engine a bit go full synthetic.
Found a bit saying future engines could be going for 40,000 mile oil changes. But I suspect the secondhand buyer may be left with the engine to repair.
Finally price, don't know if they are better but there are oils out there at £14+ a litre for those with money to burn.

Last edited by goggs; 12-18-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Add some

Quick Reply: whats the Good oil for 2.5 crd