Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

When to change transmission fluid

Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Default When to change transmission fluid

Hi,

Got a 2010 Grand Voyager and it is due it's 62500 mile service and it says on it to change transmission fluid but when I rang the Chrysler garage they said it does not need doing yet and should be changed on the 80000 mile mark.

They said they will change the oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter and the drive belt on the alternator.

So should the fluid be changed?

Old 07-23-2014, 02:12 PM

The standard for ATF change is...
1) Mineral ATF -- 30,000mile.
2) Full synthetic ATF -- 60,000mile.

Reduce these mileages for heavy use, i.e. towing a trailer, lots of long hill-climbing.
The additives lose it when the ATF is consistently at high temperatures. Mainly these are viscosity additive to prevent the oil thinning too much at high temps, less being needed for synth., and anti-judder friction modifiers to stop the wet-clutch around the torque-converter juddering/shuddering.

Consider yourself lucky Chrysler don't go the ZF way and make ATF change almost impossible.

Leedsman.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM

I did say to them to do it on this service but they were adamant they don't do it on this service.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 PM

Its a good thing to change the automatic transmission fluid & filter at approximately every 60K miles/60 months.

It is important that the transmission fluid be maintained at the prescribed level using the recommended fluid. No chemical flushes should be used in any transmission;
only the approved lubricant may be used.

Using a transmission fluid other than the manufacturer’s recommended fluid may cause deterioration in transmission shift quality and/or torque converter shudder.
Using a transmission fluid other than the manufacturer’s recommended fluid will result in more frequent fluid and filter changes.

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is an engineered product and its performance may be impaired by supplemental additives. Therefore, do not add any fluid additives
to the transmission. The only exception to this policy is the use of special dyes to aid in detecting fluid leaks. In addition, avoid using transmission sealers as they may adversely affect seals.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 PM

This is the 60 month service now or 62500 so I will have to persuade them to change it. When I said to the guy it says to change it in the service book he said on his computer for this car should be done at 80k? I don't know where he got the information from.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Consider yourself lucky Chrysler don't go the ZF way and make ATF change almost impossible.
Sorry for asking but I am here to learn
What is ZF way?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM

If they don't budge I'll just cancel my appointment tomorrow and take it somewhere else. I was only getting it done at the dealers because I've reading the ATF change is sensitive to the oil and has to be done properly with the correct fluid.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Your owners manual also says when to change the fluid its teh same info the dealers have.
A flush changed the fluid all 8- 9 quarts out no filter change the filter service changed 5-6 quarts of fluid and replaced the filter inside.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vmaxxer
Sorry for asking but I am here to learn
What is ZF way?
Leedsman's favourite ride is a Jag, but ZF's are in BMW's, Rage Rovers, Rollers, Maserati's and Bently's - its a gearbox made by ZF Getriebe.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM

The U.S. the manual list the following service intervals:

1. Change the automatic transmission fluid & filter at 120,000 miles or 120 months for normal driving.

2. Change the automatic transmission fluid & filter at 60,000 or 60 months if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet or frequent trailer towing.
George

Last edited by georgef; 07-25-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When to change transmission fluid