2000 Cirrus Engine dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Default 2000 Cirrus Engine dies while driving

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Cirrus LXI V6 2.5L. The engine dies ocasionally while driving. It occurs between 45 and 70 MPH. It usually restarts if I leave it in drive, but occasionally it will not restart and I will coast off to the side of the road. I then have to wait 5 to 10 minutes before it will restart. The problem seams to be getting worse. Sometime it will stall 3 or 4 times in a day, and then go a week without any problems. I have read that it could be the crank position sensor, or possibly the distributer. Has anybody had this problem, and what fixed it? The Car has 82K on it. CarQuest has a Reman distributer for $278, whick includes the ignition module, and intrigual coil. Then Crankshaft position sensor is $109, both look like a bear to replace, with the distributer being under the intake manifold!

Any insight into this? Has anybody had this problem and what fixed it? I would prefer no to replace both if possible.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Default RE: 2000 Cirrus Engine dies while driving

I had the same problem ,,it would die at hwy speeds and you could see the tach drop & at times it would pick back up like nothing ever happened, at times it would die on hwy , i would pull over & it would re-start Immedaitley, at times it would only crankbut not start. if you would wait3 to 5 to 12 minutes it would start like nothing was wrong.
Then some times it diedatidle at a light and sometimes immedaite re-start some times 5-10 minutes, once itstarted it ran like nothing happened, very haphazard.
then before i replaced it did not want to re-start for like 1/2 hr

it was the crank sensor loctated on the transmission Down below the distributor and to the front of the car a little. you need to remove the EGR metal tube to get in there,smaller hands work better. Pls note how far it's in there before you remove it. I put mine in all the way and pulled it out a tich then tightned it up.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks Johno....I am going to replace the crank sensor today. It should hopefully fix it. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM

John777, check out the thread two down from this one started by ASH 12/9/2007. He and I had the same problem with our V6's. He has never replied back, but I have posted all my information as to what I did with my car (which was doing the same thing as your car). Check your sensors first before you start to change them. Get a Hanes manual and follow the electrical troubleshooting regarding those sensors, make sure they pulse while you turn over the engine. Just check the thread below....You will see all the items I checked before I changed any sensors. It turned out to be the engine ECU at the front left of the car beside the under hood fuse panel (the ECU with the two plugs on top of it) you might luck out like I did.

THE BIG STEAK

Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM

Update: I replaced the crankshaft position sensor today. It was a pain in the a**! I have to go on a 2hour drive tomorrow so I will see if that did the trick.
Some insight on replacing the crank position sensor:

1. Get a friend to help...you need 2 sets of hands.
2. You need to remove the cruise control servo from the left strut tower
3. loosen then Transmission dipstick tube (screw near base) you don't have to remove tube!
4. This gives you JUST BARELY enough room to get your hand down there to do the job. It is not necessary to remove the EGR tube, It does not give you the room you need.
5. Have the car on a ramp. It is best to remove and replace the sensor from below, with a friend helping you guide it into position from above. You can't see anything from below, only feel. From up top you can see, but can't get your hands in far enough.

There is very little room to work, especially if you have big hands. Occasionally I'd drop a nut, or socket and spend the next 5 minutes trying to retrieve it! The job is a pain, but very do-able for your average do-it-you-selfer.
To get the Tranny dipstick tube bolt back in place, take your socket and pack it with greese to hold the bolt, then guide it back in with an extension.

The crank position sensor was $104 from carquest. It is probably cheaper at NAPA.

John

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
moe

let us know john, hope you got it!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Well, It seems to have solved the problem. I have put over 250 miles on the car with no further problems, so I would say the Crankshaft position sensor was the culprit.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 AM

It helps when the car dies and will not start any more. Its soooooo hard to track down intermittent problems. When it does die, I would rather check the sensors first to see if they work before I start to throw parts at the car indescriminately. Your lucky that it turned out to be the first sensor you changed that fixed the problem. I have not been as lucky at times.

THE BIG STEAK

Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 PM

About 1200 miles since replacing the crankshaft position sensor and still no more problems. That was certainly the cause of the stalling.