2000 Cirrus Lxi EVAP leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Default 2000 Cirrus Lxi EVAP leak

Hello all,

Last year, just after I got the car inspected, the check engine light came on. Two codes were tripped (can't remember the exact numbers) that indicated a small EVAP leak and a gross EVAP leak. I didn't fix it last year, drove with the check engine light on all year, and am now facing inspection again. NH will not pass any vehicle with any computer codes tripped.

I reset the computer a few days ago and the light stayed off for about 3 days, but is back on now. I plan to change out the gas cap and inspect the plastic EVAP lines this weekend. Is there anything else I can or should be looking for to track down this leak? After a bit of research online I don't think the charcoal canister is the culprit, although anything is possible. Just looking for some advice.

Chris

Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 AM
moe
Default RE: 2000 Cirrus Lxi EVAP leak

hey V,i have worked on many of theses problems.if you light has stayed off for three days i'm going to say its a small leak,with out the codes its hard to tell.i would look real close at the rubber lines for the smallest cracks,trying the cap is not a bad idea.its a cheap enough fix.heres a veiw of what you dealing with i'm assuming you have a 2.5 v6. 4cly are almost the same.let me know moe

Old 10-26-2007, 06:17 AM

Wow, Moe,

Thanks for the schematic! I'll be hunting for the leak tomorrow and will let you know what I find. I am fortunate enough to have an automotive pit in my garage and can stand up under the car.

Chris

Old 10-29-2007, 11:55 AM

Well, I bought a new gas cap and put it on this past Saturday. I also took a peek under the car and found that the small steel line that runs paralell to the fuel filler has some corrosion. It looks to be welded to the filler line and has quite a bit of rust on it. It also looks like it connects to another rubber line before it enters the fuel tank. Moe, I couldn't see (or didn't know what I was looking at) most of what was on the schematic as it appears to be above the tank? Anyway, I reset the computer after changing out the cap. I'm just waiting to see if the light comes back on after driving for a few days like it did last time.

Chris