98 cirrus total mess

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Exclamation 98 cirrus total mess

this cirrus has the 2.5 v6 motor, while driving the car without warning over-heated and blew coolant and oil everywhere all at once, a lot out of the front bumper area and the air intake. the spark plugs were fried and the wires melted inside the tubes. everything was replaced, new wires, plugs, air filter. now when you crank over the engine it pumps coolant into the oil pan, i have heard its the head gasket, or the upper and lower intake gaskets... i have not yet done a compression test but have been told to check that... when the car first did its little stunt the "no bus" light was on but after sitting all winter with a dead battery and then recharging it the light was gone, and no codes show up on my scanner... any ideas?! need help asap please

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM

I would be surprised NOT to find a hole in one of the cylinder Bores, and a Melted down Piston......

Run your compression test, and look for any obvious structural damage to the engine block before getting involved with a never ending pit.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 PM

i already looked around what i could see on the block and nothin looks cracked, the only place i saw any fluid was around the manifold gasket, i am going to do the compression this weekend, wouldnt happen to know what i am supposed to look for on the compression reading would you? i looked all over and i got so many different answers that were between 135 and around 165...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 PM

Typically..

I look more at how close the cylinders are to each other....The one that is extremely higher or lower than the rest is the problem spot.....

Rule of thumb....as long as they are all reasonably the same...150'ish should suffice.

For coolant To be Pumped into the crankcase "During Cranking" ...there is something Catastrophic going on.....A leaking head gasket will usually reveal itself under pressure, Either compression blowing into the coolant, or Cooling system pressure forcing into a cylinder or Crankcase...

By all means, test compression....but there is something going on there that WILL require Teardown and inspection beyond what the gauge is going to tell you.