need help intermittent NO START

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Default need help intermittent NO START

Need some help on a 1999 cirrus, we take the car out when it gets warmed up and hot and we shut it off, chances are, it won't start.The no start does not happen all the time, for instance I drove it for hours last week and had no problems at all. It will start back up after 20 - 30 minutes of sitting when I have the problem. When it won't start, I get no "click" no cranking, just the dash lights go out and come back on when I bring the key back from start. I have replaced the starter with a reman. and replaced the battery. When I didcatch it in the no start condition, I was able to check the ignition relay, and that looked ok. In the Haynes manual, it talks about a neurtral safety switch on the transaxle, but mine does not have the one they describe. It has the 2.5 motor and it acts like a bad neurtral safety switch, but where is it? Does it have one? Any other ideas on what it could be or what I can check? Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: need help intermittent NO START

get a test light and see in the relay if u are getting power at the relay when u try and turn it over possible IGN switch
a good working system will have 2 powers and 1 ground

Old 12-03-2007, 01:17 PM

if I remember right, when it was happening my son was turning the key and I felt the ignition relay clicking, is there a way to check the wires coming from the relay, with it still in its socket? If I just run a hot wire from the battery positive while it is happening which terminal on the starter do I touch? If I get it to turn over that way, then I know it is something before the relay right? Also the key to the problem, seems to be 50 degrees, when it is that temp outside it starts happening - right now it is cold out and have not had the problem.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
moe

heres the location of the switch.has the recall been done for the shifter interlock? and you can jump the starter just use jumper wire and carfully jump the two wires on the starter.key has to be on.moe

Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM

can you go into more detail on the recall? I remember something a while back on the recall, and don't think we had the problem, but can't remember about it. I think your last post got cutoff. On the 2.5 does it have a park nuertral switch like your picture shows? I can't see a gray connector. I see 1 black connector and one connector next to it that has about 8 - 10 wires that plug into the tranny.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
moe

the recall was for shifter shifter rod installed in your shifter handle.do you remember that?as for the trans.you must have the connector with the sensors built in to it.like temp sensor,range sensor,haven't seen them go bad to often.i would look for what tech said a bad ign switch.moe

Old 12-04-2007, 01:12 PM
moe

wowiusedthe word SHIFTER.alot on that last post! sorry.i meant shifter interlock rod.i need to use spell check