no belts!!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Default no belts!!

hello all new here and in desperate need of help!! i have a 99 chrysler cirrus 2.5 v6, less then 90000 miles. while driving home on the freewway, there was a loss in power, battery light came on and steering got very stiff. luckily i made it home on the battery i later found out. when i got home i looked to see if maybe i had a power sterring leak, but immediately i noticed that ther were no belts where they should be. i believe there should be 2 belts on this car, just bought the carabout 2 months ago. i need some help desperately. how do i find out if there is something wrong with a pulley, or is it possible that one belt slipped and caused the other to slip? does anyone have a diagram for the routing of the belts, how hard is it to change the belts, what should i be worried about? i can do some work on cars, ive changed my own calipers, tune ups, a frames, struts so im not too worried about whether or not i can do it, just worried that it may have to go to the shop if i dont have the right tools. if it has to go to the shop and the belts just slipped due to the bad whether here in cleveland, then as a ballpark figure what should i exect to pay? thanks

Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Default RE: no belts!!

Remove lower cover (maybe it’s not on there I would assume this is the case since both belts are lost.)
Its very likley the power steering fluid caused one belt to slip and if it came off it caused the other belt to come off as well.

There is no magic here, nor do you need anyspecial tools
it sould not be that hard.
1. Fix the leak, clean the oil off the stuff.
2. Look and feel the pulleys for problems ( spin alternator and a/c compressor.. if compressor clutch has an issue or alt locked up it could cause belts to jump or break or burn) not very likley that pulleys are out of line but worth taking a good look for alignment issues
3. Put on belt on the power steering on, I believe it goes on the one up in the back. On I believe that one you tension the power steering pump belt by using I think a ½ inch drive breaker bar that goes into a square hold on a bracket or into the pump so you can tension it. (GOTTA loosen the tension bolt 1sts) MAYBE get a Haynes or Chilton manual like 15.00-20 bucks or go to the auto parts store or library to look at one for free(you can use it for future reference) or go to you local Library and use “all data “it’s an EXCELLENT auto reference FREE site. It only costs you if you want to print.
As I recall the alt has a tension bolts, it may be the square drive tension ordeal on that one. Put in the ½ or 3/8 inch breaker bar into the square hole and pull lever to release tension to install belt.

As I recall there is a belt diagram on the car.

As far as going to the dealer figure 50-100 buck depending on what they find to be the issue maybe more if a part needs to be replaced.

good luck