timing belt cirrus 2.4

Old 01-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Default timing belt cirrus 2.4

just changed the timing belt in my cirrus, lined all the marks up just like the haynes says, and got it all back together and it run a little rough, so i figured i was off a tooth, so i tore it back down again realigned everything went foward a tooth put it all back together and it still run rough, so I tore it back down again went back 2 teeth to count for the advance, should put be back one tooth from original, and heard a little tapping when it run, i immediatly cut the engine off and crossed my fingers i didnt do what i think i did, and yes i rotated the engine twice by hand before attempting to crank it, and felt no resistance so i figured i was safe, after the first time i pulled it off i noticed the harmonic balancer wasnt all the way on but pretty close, I done everything by the book crankshaft mark on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth
exhaust cam shaft cocked down half a tooth before install of the belt to allow for tension slack, really dont know what else to do, and wonder if i did indeed bend a valve
like i said it was a very lite tap, would being one tooth off either way be enough to cause damage...thanks..

Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Default cirrus timing belt

well i figured out what i did wrong, when i was putting it back together the intake cam slipped a little the wrong way so i was 2 teeth off instead of one, runs like a top now, was worried about valve damage but i put about 70 miles on her today and no problem, to anyone attempting this, it took me a better part of a day the first time just to get the timing belt off, mostly time spent on the harmonic balancer i got it off easy with a three jaw puller, putting it back on however with my limited experience proved challenging as i opted out of the hammer it on approach, and after searching 2 auto zones and 2 advance auto parts for loaner tools, they had no clue, I guess the cirrus isn't that popular, anyway I went to napa and got a 12 by 1.75 bolt about an inch longer than the original and with the help of a ton of washers and a lite coating of grease I got it back on, I am not a mechanic by no means but i would rather take the time to learn how to do these things myself, than get bent over by these crooks around here, it's funny it took me a whole day to get the belt off and back on only to realize i was a couple of teeth off, right now, I could change that sucker out in about an hour....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM

12 by 1.75 bolt about an inch longer than the original and with the help of a ton of washers and a lite coating of grease
That is all the professional installer tool is.......

Not a big deal now...but for next time.... the grease is a No-No...