General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Pacifica defrost problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Default 04 Pacifica defrost problems

My wife's 2004 Chrysler Pacifica has a problem. Whenever the climate control is on it will only blow from the dash vents. The display moves as you push the button, showing floor, defrost etc. But it continues to blow onlyfrom the vents. Hot/cold and rear functions properly. Any ideas? Thank you in advancefor any help!!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:19 PM
moe
Default RE: 04 Pacifica defrost problems

sounds like blend door actuator.little motor that moves door with control head input.have you had the battery replaced,maybe we can recalibrate it.sometimes when lose battery voltage you need to reset blend doors.i can walk you thru it if needed, moe

Old 10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
moe

here you go brother just in case i'm notaround this weekend.moe
STANDARD PROCEDURE - HEATER-A/C CONTROL CALIBRATION
The A/C-heater control must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor or the A/C-heater control is replaced.
[ol][*]Turn the ignition switch to the On position.[*]Simultaneously depress and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the A/C-heater control for at least five seconds. The automatic temperature control (ATC) A/C-heater control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun.[*]The calibration procedure should take less than twenty seconds. When the LEDs or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete.[*]If the LEDs or graphics continue to flash beyond the normal twenty second (ATC) calibration time, it indicates that the A/C-heater control has detected a failure and a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) has been set. Refer to Body Diagnostic Procedures to perform further diagnosis. The LEDs or graphics will continue to flash even after the ignition switch is cycled Off and On, until a successful calibration is completed or until the vehicle has been driven about 12 kilometers (8 miles).[/ol]

Old 10-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Hey Moe, Gave it a shot with the recalibration even though the battery has not been out for a year. No luck. Tried it twice. How hard is it to get the blend door actuator? Thanks for the help! Rob

Old 10-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Hey Rob, this may sound a little crazy but while the vech. is running andswitched to defrost mode try banging on the dash with your hand and see if itstarts working. If it doesthen you do have a blend door motor problem. Howmany miles on the vech?I am not anexpert but alot of times if it is a elect. contact problem a jolt will start it working again. Do not put your fist thru it. Good Luck.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM

TT, 75K, interesting that you would suggest that, periodically the displaywill go black. My wife gets it to come back on by banging on it. I'll check it out!!
Thanks Rob

Old 10-20-2007, 06:05 PM

Something I was tought years agoas a tech was the tap test. Thishas paid off so many many many times in sloving elect. problems. The bad thing is this day and timewe have got so many onboard computers in your every day car even the dealers are not sure how to fix the problem and they think that you have a endless wade of money. Engineers should be made to work in a dealership and slove some of the problems that they them selfs have made. Sorry just had to vent. Good luck and God Bless!!!!!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

U have a bad control head.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Chrysler Tech, They have replaced the control head in mine 2 times and it does not fix it ! I did the above stated procedure and it calibrated but still does not work. Is it possible the module that operates the vent lever or door is bad ?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 AM

It is a computer problem that reports an error and shuts down motor control output to the selected actuaor. Unfortunately you have an error in the system either in the motor positioned, position reporting or position bias feedback bit reporting in the computer. Complete fix will require a lot of testing and dealerships and shops will probably just end up throwing parts at it until it stops. Problem is that when they work on it they will normally disconnect battery to work on the electronics, and this will feet the computer and make it start working! Unfortunately this will only fix it for a couple of weeks or months and then it will happen again.
Your choices are:
1. When it happens, disconnect clean and reconnect battery cables. This will temporarily fix issue.
Or
2. Systematically replace components($) until problem does not repeat.

Note: ensure that you have kept up with the maintenance and have replaced the cabin air filter. Sometimes plugged or faulty filters will allow particulates or lack of air movement to not allow complete selector movement.