General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: Do I need a tranny
Do I need a new tcm or pcm
0%
Do I need a new mechanic
0%
Do I need a new tranny
0%
Do I need the comp reprogrammed to the tranny
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

06 Chrysler 300 won't shift after engine install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Exclamation 06 Chrysler 300 won't shift after engine install.

My engine was knocking and eventually went on me on the thruway. It's a 2006 Chrysler 300 touring 3.5. I purchased an 05 engine with really low miles that is supposedly compatible.
The mechanic installed it and it would not shift. It goes in reverse and drive fine but won't shift once it starts driving. Rpms just keep going up with the speed. I think it's in limp mode. I contacted a few people and they recommended the old wire harness and sensors be installed on the new engine. That was done and it's still not shifting when driving
Any advise or recommendations I would appreciate. Ian having the worst luck with the car. It only had 158k on it. Oil changes every 3 k. I don't know if the mechanic isn't doing his job right or if I need more parts replaced like a tranny. He has lied about the car working fine then to only turn out its not when I go to leave his shop. Thanks for viewing and input guys anything helps.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 PM

The way to diagnose transmission problems is to take the car to a place with the correct diagnostic equipment, hook the car up and run the correct diagnostic tests. Nobody here can do that for you. Transmissions nowadays are controlled by a dedicated computer that records and saves error messages when it detects something wrong with the transmission operation. If the transmission is in limp mode, the computer put it there for a reason, and that reason is stored in the computer.

You would be very foolish to replace the transmission at this point without knowing what is going on in there. It could be something as simple as a disconnected plug or some wiring fault that is causing the computer to go in to limp mode. It could be something more serious, but until you know for sure, then you are just guessing.

Any reputable transmission shop should be able to run the necessary diagnostics. Since the equipment necessary to do so is quite expensive, the will probably charge you a fee. Some shops will absorb the fee if you choose to have them repair the car. In addition to running electronic diagnostics it may be necessary to run pressure tests if there is some internal mechanical problem with the transmission itself. Let's stop guessing and get some hard information.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:14 PM

I just thought maybe it was something not tranny wise only because it worked before the engine swag, but you are correct about guessing. I will call a tranny shop Tom and try to plan something.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:39 PM

May need to perform a transmission relearn