General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Grand Voyager climate control front Blower problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Default 2002 Grand Voyager climate control front Blower problem

Hi All
We have a right hand drive grand voyager (I'm in Australia) and the front aircon blower on the auto temp control a/c has stopped working. The blower for the rear outlets still work..Took it in for service and was told
Blower motor fused (New blower $900)
Replace blower power module (new module $600)
est cost $1700
I wondered if the motor could fuse so decided to rip it out for a look. Connected it up to my old trusty 12 v transformer and the motor still runs smoothly. Found the power module and had a look at it and it looks ok but I've got no way of testing it. I've checked that power is coming into the module. So I guess it must be the module.
I've looked around on the internet and it seems I can pick up these parts much cheaper in the US. I have friends over there that can pick the parts up and bring them back for me, but as our car is right hand drive, the blower is on the left hand side of the car. I thought I get a new blower just in case. So, I'm wondering if the parts will fit. The 3 screws for the motor seem to be at different heights. I was also wondering if the mounting on my blower could be removed and swapped with one on a new motor.

I guess, my diagnosis is pretty basic. I don't know how to check whether the commands to start the blower are getting through to the power module and I don't even know where they come from.

I know this question is a bit of a strange one. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Cheers, Mike

Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 PM

I don't have a direct answer to your questions, but I have a few thoughts.

1) If the blower works per your test, I don't see any reason to replace it.

2) If you decide that you want to replace it with a US part anyway, I would suggest that you look for a part number stamped on the old blower somewhere. I can't imagine that this part would be any different US vs Australia, but I really don't know. Should be able to compare your part number with US part number though to see if they match.

3) $900 for a new blower seems outrageously high to me. The blower motor US is a $40 to $50 part. Likewise on the module, it is about a $50 to $90 part US.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jfyfe
I don't have a direct answer to your questions, but I have a few thoughts.

1) If the blower works per your test, I don't see any reason to replace it.

2) If you decide that you want to replace it with a US part anyway, I would suggest that you look for a part number stamped on the old blower somewhere. I can't imagine that this part would be any different US vs Australia, but I really don't know. Should be able to compare your part number with US part number though to see if they match.

3) $900 for a new blower seems outrageously high to me. The blower motor US is a $40 to $50 part. Likewise on the module, it is about a $50 to $90 part US.
Thanks for your suggestions jfyfe.
Yes, the prices we get charged here just because the part is imported are outrageous. We had to get the rear wiper replaced and they charged us, wait for it, $100! They said it only came in a combined part. They couldn't just supply a new blade..

Pulled the blower power module and the part number matches the one mentioned in another thread in the forum. So I guess they're the same.. Besides that, mine has 'made in france' stamped on it.. Part number is 04885482AA/D with 101/01 underneath -

If a blower motor is $50 - $90, I may as well get a new one just in case. I'd still be about $1500 ahead of what the service guys quoted!

Cheers, Mike

Old 08-31-2010, 08:13 PM

My friend arrived home with the new Power module. Installed it in 5 minutes and the problem is solved! Best $90 I've spent.
Cheers, Mike

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM

Good to hear it all worked out.