General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 concorde wont start has dtc p1684

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Unhappy 2000 concorde wont start has dtc p1684

i boutgh a 2000 concorde. it hadnt been startes for like a year or so. i replace the battery because it was completely dead. i drain all the fuel n replace the spark plugs. i ck for codes all it has is the dtc p1684 . i tried hittin the unlock button on the transmitter and i also tried turnin both door cylinders to lock n unlock with the key . still wont start . whats best way to diagnose this problem . should i ck coils n injectors. and what would b the best way to ck them. how would i know if the key is not one of those keys that is suppost to have a chip in it. any help would b appreciated.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:50 AM

The 1684 code means nothing more than the fact that the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts.

If you want to find out if your car requires a security key, take the VIN to a Chrysler dealer. The guy at the parts counter should be able to look it up and determine whether it was built with the security key immobilizer system (SKIS).

Check for fuel pressure, spark as a beginning to find out why it won't start. Obviously, there's something wrong with the car, that's probably why it sat for a year without being run. I assume you bought it cheap. Now's the time to spend some money.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:38 PM

the owner before me didnt drive it because when u drove the car and it got to regular operating temperature it would turn off n wouldnt turn back on until it cool down. yeah i did buy it cheap. it used to turn on n drove fine until it would turned off when it got warm. i drove it before like i a year ago. i have fuel goin to fuel rail n it looks like i have spark i pull out one of the coils n spark plug n ck for spark n it was sparking. whats the best way to ck if the pcm is sending the signal to the injectors. they have the positive power goin to them but im not sure how to ck for the signal from the pcm is it suppost to b 5 volts? any help would b appreciated . should i ck cam and crank sensors too . n where on the engine are they at. any help would be appreciated.....

Old 09-14-2009, 04:13 PM

Here's a place to start:

http://www.haynes.com/products/year/.../productID/100

There could be many things wrong with the car. You should buy or borrow an OBD II code reader to see if it has generated any fault codes. The engine computer may have a problem that shows up only when it gets warm. Electronic things can be that way.

You need sufficient fuel pressure to allow the injectors to work properly. Just having fuel there is not enough.

You are going to have to spend some money to get this car going again. Spend it wisely. Don't just buy replacement parts *****-nilly hoping that one might solve the problem. Acquire some knowledge and some tools that will help you now and later.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 AM

ill try ckin the fuel pressure this week.... ill post what i find ....