General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Pt cruiser not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Default 2003 Pt cruiser not starting

The Pt cruiser was in parked position and running when it cut off for no evident reason. When trying to restart the car it turns over, but doesn't start. We checked the gas, oil, fuses, and couldn't find the problem. Through different forums we found out people were having this issue with an ignition coil so we changed that to no avail. We found that the coil is getting 11-12v of power but after going to the coil there is no spark. The plugs were really old so they were replaced to, but still nothing. We got an OBD scanner and it returned the code p0108 for the MAp sensor (we were told it could be like 5 other things that would return the p0108). Since then we changed the Crank sensor and the cam sensor and we still aren't getting a spark. It just wants to turn over but no ignition. We tried switching the relays to see if maybe one was messed up but that didn't work. Is there something we're missing? Maybe there is a grounding problem since the electricity stops at the coil? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

how about a broke timing belt

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Default yeah?

How do i check the timing belt? Where would that be on the 2003 model?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

pass side is the cover u can remove one 10mm bolt at the top and pull it back far enough to see the belt then have some one turn it and see if its moving or not.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Default is it?

Is this the serpentine belt that turns like the Ac ?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Default ok im dumb

Ok so looking at the repair manual i found the timing belt. I also read up on the coil and relay. Since power is getting to the coil i am guessing that something is wrong when it needs to ground back to the pcm which is tripping the auto shutdown relay and not telling the coil to fire the plugs. So how do i test this? Do i just take off the timing belt cover to check the timing belt? Thanks

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

pass side is the cover u can remove one 10mm bolt at the top and pull it back far enough to see the belt then have some one turn it and see if its moving or not.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
how about a broke timing belt
Yes, I think it was the timing belt, like my friend, he has a problem in starting before and we found out, its the timing belt..

Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Default progress

Ok so i could barely get the cover open as there are two bolts and one is to the side underneath a hose and cramped between stuff. I tried to start it and sure enough the belt doesn't move. Of course Advance Auto isn't letting me return anything i bought from them that they told me it was initially. Now that it's not moving i'm gonna have to get in there to it. Is there an easy way? The cover is right beside a mount which will prevent me from removing the cover. Thank you for your suggestions

Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 PM

There's not an easy way. You have to pull the crankshaft damper pulley to get the lower cover off in order to replace the belt, and you need to set the camshafts properly and set the tension properly. You need to know what you are doing to replace the belt, far beyond what somebody can post up here.
Your choice is to study the service manual and decide whether you are up to the job based on your knowledge and tools, or have it done professionally.

Quick Reply: 2003 Pt cruiser not starting