General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intrepid 3.5 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Default Intrepid 3.5 Engine

Curious.

A friend has a Intrepid, not sure of year, with a 3.5.

Has a rod knocking that was somehow concealed when he got the car.

I am curious if the engine can be removed, turned upside down, remove the pan and replace the rod bearings without any further disassembly of the engine.

Never tried it but willing to try.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by disvnvet
Curious.

A friend has a Intrepid, not sure of year, with a 3.5.

Has a rod knocking that was somehow concealed when he got the car.

I am curious if the engine can be removed, turned upside down, remove the pan and replace the rod bearings without any further disassembly of the engine.

Never tried it but willing to try.

Any input would be great.

Thanks
absolutely NOT. you MUST replace the rod that had a spun bearing!!!! what year is this car? where is it located. i have a low miles 3.5 I'd like to sell.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Default 3.5 Engine

The car is a 2001.

Give me some more information on the engine and how much.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 PM

mine wont work it's a 1996 totally different and not interchangeable. you might be best off doing one of the following: find a wrecked car for the motor, go to the junkyard and get a new motor, rebuild your motor (most expesive option), junk the car and get a toyota

Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 AM

It is possible to remove the engine but i don't think it's a good idea.The engine is where the combustion of a fuel occurs with an oxidizer (usually air) in a combustion chamber.It is one of the most important part to make your car work good.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by lovely09
It is possible to remove the engine but i don't think it's a good idea.The engine is where the combustion of a fuel occurs with an oxidizer (usually air) in a combustion chamber.It is one of the most important part to make your car work good.

wtf is up with this post? what does it have to do with the topic?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by lovely09
Yeah it is possible but it is not a good idea... If you want to be safe, you must replace the rod that had a spun bearing.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Default Change One

I visually checked the engine. Instead of a 3.5, it is a 2.7. I know that this is the engine that is having the sludge problem so I am curious if:

1. There is a mod that can be done to alleviate the sludge problem.

2. Is it worth swapping the engine to another 2.7.

3. Is there a different engine that can swap with the 2.7 i.e 3.1, 3.5 or another as a quick change assembly.

I would like to be able to get engine, pull out old, and immediately put in new.

Just a thought.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 PM

well, how do you know if it had sludging? that was really only a problem when the engine first came out in 1998. This issue does not apply to your problem. If you really did some reading, you'd know ALL the problems these engines have.

it is possible to install a 3.2 or 3.5 however you're opening up a whole bunch more problems for yourself. and if you really think you can do that swap, you'll need a whole parts car so you get every part that will be needed for the conversion.

the EASIEST thing to do is get another 2.7 and in a matter of a weekend swap it out. the bad part is there is no such thing as a good 2.7 so it's a total crap shoot to hope you get the right one. and just to discourage the rookies, chrysler changed the cam sensor trigger wheel so if you use the wrong year, it wont run.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:50 AM

Give me some more information on the engine

Quick Reply: Intrepid 3.5 Engine