General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

chrysler sebring wheel bearing

Old 08-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Default chrysler sebring wheel bearing

how do i go about changing a front wheel bearing or does it need to go to ;a shop

Old 08-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Default RE: chrysler sebring wheel bearing

What year and model?

Old 08-13-2005, 02:21 AM

2002 4 door 2.7 l

Old 08-25-2005, 01:22 AM
ace

if you have any mech skills it can be done at home on a jack and stands. i have not done it yet myself but i know people that have done it before

Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 PM

Yes you can do it yourself, provided you have access to either an air wrench or electric air wrench. Wheel bearing is self contained including wheel studs. It's a simple component replacement. Remove hub cab, loosen lugnuts, remove cotter pin; while vehicle is still on concrete, use impact wrench to remove the wheel nut or I suppose you could try to use a braker bar with a 6 foot cheater pipe to remove it because it has been torqued on with an impact wrench; it is also nice to get yourself a container for all nuts and bolts at this time; next raise the front of the vehicle off the concrete securely; remove lug nuts, the wheel; remove the two bolts securing front disc brake; remove brake caliper and suspend with a piece of wire usually a small hammer is needed to shock the caliper lose because of debri; remove roter; in the back of the wheel bearing are four bolts, remove them using a combination of tubing wrenchs, open end wrenchs, and box wrenchs Chrysler gives you just enough room; with a small hammer shock the wheel bearing unit loose, it should come off in your hand; then take some rags, cotton swabs, and wipe the dirt away from the grease seal it should not have to be replaced it is really just a shield; also clean half shaft spline; take some grease out of a grease gun not a lot and grease the spline and the void; take the new wheel bearing which costs approx. $100.00 (it is a sealed bearing, no grease or any maintenance required); slide it onto the shaft and rotate it until it can be lined up with the 4 bolt holes; now reverse the order of these directions making sure not to forget to torque the nut you could use a torque wrench but you can't because they don't go as high as manual says it needs which is approx. 200 ft lbs; just tighten it tight you'll know because that nut has a spring washer and a cap that needs to be pushed on so the cotter pin will fit. One final thought, don't forget the thrust washer goes first.

Good luck,
Dan

Old 05-01-2006, 09:31 PM

Is there enough room to tap the wheel bearing assembly and will the hammer method loosen the assembly for removal without having to beat the crap out of the suspension? The Chrysler manual shows a specific tool to remove and install the wheel bearing assembly. Has anyone tried this with sucess? I will be doing the disassembly tomorrow evening and do not want to get stuck in the middle of the job. Thanks, Dave in NJ

Old 05-01-2006, 09:32 PM

BTW, it is a 1999 Sebring LX. Thanks, Dave in NJ

Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Default ? about replacing a wheelbearing on a 2006 Chrysler Sebring 2.4

Hello,

Could someone tell me if you need a special set of torque wrenches to remove the wheelbearing on a 2006 Chrysler Sebring 2.4? My hubby is wondering if a special torque is needed to remove and replace these wheelbearings??....I am having trouble finding a Haynes repair manual for my car, it seems that they only go as far as 2005 Chysler cars, h'mmm okay, I'll have to keep looking for one I guess

Thank you, Marcy-

Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Luckie11
Hello,

Could someone tell me if you need a special set of torque wrenches to remove the wheelbearing on a 2006 Chrysler Sebring 2.4? My hubby is wondering if a special torque is needed to remove and replace these wheelbearings??....I am having trouble finding a Haynes repair manual for my car, it seems that they only go as far as 2005 Chysler cars, h'mmm okay, I'll have to keep looking for one I guess

Thank you, Marcy-
You mean TORX I bet. You'll need a socket not a wrench. Those parts store manuals are just good enough to get you confused and often leave key information out. Go to the Alldata website and see what the cost is for a single subscriber. It's very good.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TNtech
You mean TORX I bet. You'll need a socket not a wrench. Those parts store manuals are just good enough to get you confused and often leave key information out. Go to the Alldata website and see what the cost is for a single subscriber. It's very good.

Hello there!

Thanks for the reply, and for your info. about the torx lol didn't know the correct spelling I guess My hubby borrowed a set of these "Torx" and got the job done on Saturday but,,,,,It didn't fix the problem w/ the right front wheel bearing unfortunately When he turned the wheels to the left the noise would stop, so he thought it was the right front wheel bearing.....He changed the hub bearing to a Timkin w/ a great warannty of 3 year or 45,000 miles, can't beat that Now, we still have this noise while accelerating and he's not sure if he needs to change the left wheel bearing now or what??.....The car makes a wooo wooo growl type sound it's so frustrating because we just purchased this car a month ago, didn't know it had these problems w/ it until after we purchased the car....The car had snow tires on the front all season on the back, and the car was loud due to this so when he bought new tires for the front, he heard the bearing noise figured he'd replace it, but that didn't do the trick...Any advice for me dear, would be greatly appreciated He's going to have a mechanic friend of his take a ride w/ him to hear this noise and see what he thinks it may be....

Thanks again, have a great week! Marcy-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chrysler sebring wheel bearing