General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PT CRUISER CUT OFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Default PT CRUISER CUT OFF

My daughter owns a 2001 Cruiser. Yesterday the car cut off on her while she was driving. The lights were burning good when it cut off, oil level full. Just had a new power steering rack put in and a tie rod. The car would not try to start, no noise no nothing. Please assist. New xmission in 2007.[]

Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: PT CRUISER CUT OFF

u might need some one to look at it there is not enough info to make any sorta diag.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM

There could be many different things that could be wrong. I would check on the crankshaft position sensor first to see if it is sending a signal to the PCM. If the PCM does not receive a signal from the crankshaft position sensor, the PCM won't ground the Autoshutdown relaly, and the engine won't start. Your problem may be elsewhere, like with the starter circuit. Check the starter relay fuse. Good Luck,Tommy.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM

If the car wont start, check on the crankshaft position sensor to see if it is sending a signal to the PCM.. Also checked the starter relay fuse,or maybe you need to bring it to the shop..Likewise with my chrysler Canada.
GOODLUCK

Old 09-08-2007, 11:42 AM

I checked the fuses and all were good. I saw the Auto shutdown Relay. How do I check to see if the Crankshaft sensor is sending a signal to the PCM. I have a multimeter to check with (I am a plant electrician). Should I purchase a manual to help me check the PCM? or can you talk me through it? I have located the PCM, just need direction on testing it.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:49 PM

Send me an email address. I'll send you information on the system, and testing instructions, Tommy.
My email address: Chevy66@hawaii.rr.com

Old 09-09-2007, 02:58 PM

Even with these days of fancy computuers, the simplest answer given what you describe comes down to the starter, starter solenoid and the alternator. I've even had to replace my battery twice . . . check it.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 AM

Would the starter cut the car off in motion? She was driving and the car cut off in motion and hasn't started since. Would the crankshaft sensor do the same cut you off in motion? I have priced a used PCM not sure to make purchase yet, still asking questions.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 AM

Which fuses did you check on, at what location?There is a fuse block inside the car, and the Power Distribution Center under the hood. Have you checked the fuses at both locations? How are you checking the fuses? What are you using? Does the engine turn over? Do the head lights come on, if yes, are they bright or dim? Have you checked how much voltage you have at the battery? I wouldn't be so quick to purchase another computer just yet.If you can answer these questions, we can help you better. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 AM

I checked all the fuses under the hood with a voltmeter. I pulled the one under the dash and ohmed them out. I checked the battery and had 12.6vdc . The engine does not turn over, it makes no noise when the key is turn. The lights are good and bright, the horn blows very strong.

Quick Reply: PT CRUISER CUT OFF