General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PT CRUISER CUT OFF

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Default RE: PT CRUISER CUT OFF

OK, this gives us something to work with. On the assumption that all the fuses have been checked and are working properly, you can now try swapping out the starter relay with one of the others. They should all have the same part numbers so you can pretty much swap out the starter relay with anyone of the others. However, I would try swapping it out with the horn relay. These relays are in the left side of the Power Distribution Center under the hood. Look at the under side of the Power Distribution Cover, you will see the diagram displaying six relays, 2 rows of 3 relays in each row. Look for the placement of the starter relay and horn relay and simply pull then out straight up. There is a tool that is used to remove the relays, however, you can use like a water pump plier or long nose plier. When pulling upwards, at the same time use a very slight swaying motion left to right. You will be grasping the longer ends of the relay at the top with the plier. Be sure todisconnect thenegative side of the battery before swapping out the relays. Take note of how the relays are installed, in what position, make sure you install them back in the same position. You will see 3 terminal blades on one end and 2 terminal blades on the other. Let us know if thisprocess gets the engine to atleast turn over. If it does, andstarts up, you will just have to replace your horn relay. If it does notturn overand start up, then we move on to the next step. The noise you are hearing when you turn on the ignition switch may be the sound of the fuel pump activating. Is it a short humming sound for about 2 seconds,or is it more like a clicking sound? Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 PM

I DID THE RELAY SWAP BUT I DID NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. IF THIS CAN RUIN THE RELAY THEN I MAY HAVE DONE THAT.
AFTER I SWAPPED THE RELAY I TRIED TO START THE CAR AND IT STILL DID NOT MAKE A SOUND, LIGHTS BRIGHT AND HORN BLOW.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:23 PM

Ok, I would try this next. Disconnect the battery again. Remove the starter relay from the relay cavity. Re-install the battery lead. Make a jumper wire. Place the ignition switch in the on position, now using the jumper wire, touch it across the B1 cavity which is the top right cavity, and the B5 cavity which is the bottom left cavity making sure thatthe jumper wire does make contact with theterminals inside the cavity. The engine should turn over. If there is any indication of the engine starting to turn over remove the jumper right away. All we are trying to do at this point is to see if the engine turns over, we are not trying to start the engine. If it does not turn over, then the problem may beelsewhere. You may want to try placing the gear shift in neutral, to see if that makes a difference. Try this and see what happens. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Could I have damage the relay by swapping them? I need to ask, will the starter stop the car in motion if it goes bad? and do I need to remove the neg. post and try swapping the relay again? thanks for the help

Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 PM

I have swapped out the relays from my 2002 PT Cruiser and have not damaged them. Disconnecting the battery is a process that I use to minimize the risk of damaging electrical components, just to be on the safe side. It's up to you. I do believe that a defective starter can stop the engine operation, especially if it is shorted out really bad. What we aretrying to do here, is go through a process of illimination to see what is working and what is not working properly. By checking to see if the engine would turn over, that would illiminate alot of things. If the engineturns over and still does not start,I would then look at the crankshaft sensor. I believe I sentyou an email message on checking the crankshaft sensor.Yes, when it comes to fixing electrical problems, it's really difficult sometimes to diagnose the problem. Youmayhave a combination of problems that needs fixing. Process of illimination is the best way Iknow, of how to find the problem(s). Let me know if you want to continue on?Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Thelink below will assist you with instructions on how to test your relay. Very simple. You will need your multimeter tester and some jumper wires. When the website opens up, scroll down to pages 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. When you follow the test procedures you will find out if your relay has been damaged or is working properly. http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Check your email. Thank you, Tommy.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Have you found the problem yet?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:32 PM

Today I took all of your info and headed out to fix the car. I checked the wires to the starter and they were tight. I looked around for other wires they may look shakey and tug and pulled on them. I remove the ASD relay. I checked the slots for 12vdc and did not find any I think. Yes it got very confusing. I went back and checked the fuse to the relay and it was blown. I don't understand because I checked all the fuses the other day with my meter and my neighbor checked with his tester and they all tested good. But the car is running. I know that fuses deteriate after time but this fuse feeds the ASD Relay and the Fuel PMP. I reseted the computer the other day with disconnecting the battery but now I'm happy but baffle. Thank you so much Gold Cruiser you have stood by me with all of your knoweledge. I'm not sure I am out of the woods yet but is your thought on it?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 PM

what is your thoughts?

Quick Reply: PT CRUISER CUT OFF