General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

You'll like this...GasCap, EVAP again

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Default You'll like this...GasCap, EVAP again

'09 Aspen with the old EVAP system malfunction. Many on here have had it.

I took it back to the dealer where I bought it. I told them everything I have learned through experimenting and the info from the pro's here. They didn't listen.

They called me and said it was fixed and ready to go. I went to get it and guess what they did... Replaced the fuel cap!

They said very smugly it was the fuel cap. They replaced it and the codes didn't come back. I sat down with the manager and explained in detail what was up with this thing. I told him the code would be back and I'd be back again.

Here's the best part. They put over 100 miles on it so I made them put fuel back in it. When the guy got back from the pumps he went right to the manager and told him the engine light was back on!

Now they're going to call the Chrysler shop and get some tips on fixing it.

They should have listened to me this morning!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Do you know what the code is?

Last edited by TNtech; 09-24-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Do you know what the code is?
0456, 0457, and 0440.

Another funny thing is they said they pressure tested the EVAP system and found bad gas cap. BS!

Last edited by jtmattison; 09-24-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by jtmattison
0456, 0457, and 0440.

Another funny thing is they said they pressure tested the EVAP system and found bad gas cap. BS!
Sounds like there is a vacum hose detached or busted wide open on the purge solenoidor the part itself is bad. The P0440 is probably setting because the PCM can't even initiate the EVAP monitor. The other two are just the results of PCM logic. They have the capability to run ad EVAP monitor test manually with the scan tool and verify the repair...other than a small leak.....that one takes a few days to trigger and turn on the CEL. It would show up as a solo code and be the P0456

Clear as mud? lolz

Last edited by TNtech; 09-27-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM

Well I brought it back today. After my long conversation with the service manager I believe they listened this time. They said they replaced the ESIM.

So far, so good. No gas cap message or engine light. However, it's only been through a couple run cycles. I'm crossing my fingers.

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:07 PM

During the times of year when outside temps start fluctuating we get a bunch of these small leak codes. When the engine and car are hot the leak may bot be there but when it cools it will appear. Very frustrating sometimes.

It may take up to two weeks to fail the small leak monitor. Note the Small leak test can find leaks less than 20 thousands of an inch. If a small leak is present it takes approximately two weeks of normal driving to report a failure.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-27-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
During the times of year when outside temps start fluctuating we get a bunch of these small leak codes. When the engine and car are hot the leak may bot be there but when it cools it will appear. Very frustrating sometimes.
Well our temps are starting to fluctuate a lot. 20's in the AM and up to 50 n the PM.
I really hope it doesn't come back. It's very annoying.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by jtmattison
Well our temps are starting to fluctuate a lot. 20's in the AM and up to 50 n the PM.
I really hope it doesn't come back. It's very annoying.
Call EPA and tell them thank you...lol

Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 AM

News flash...

It wasn't the ESIM!

I went through almost 3 tanks of gas and suddenly this morning I get the gas cap message and engine light.

Now what?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 AM

All I can do from here is tell you what my multitude of experiences have been. I have no way of knowing if they are doing it right or not. I am assuming they are not. This is a new age where you actually have to be intelligent and know electronics really well to work on a car. If they don't have the ability to do so then I don't know what to advise you to do other than take it to another dealer. As far as whatever money you have spent with them, that's between you guys.

OK, let me clear this up...you are at a Chrysler dealer correct??

Quick Reply: You'll like this...GasCap, EVAP again