New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

1999 Plymouth Breeze

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Default 1999 Plymouth Breeze

I just bought a 1999 Plymouth breeze. I drove it home with no promble. As I was arriving to my house I noticed a small jerk/jump when I was almost to a complete stop. Also when I'm at 30 and 40 mph it does the same thing. No check engine. It only does it after I've driven the car for a few mile. I added a bit more transmission fluid. I did do some research an did see this car does have transmission problem. Is this something to worry about. Thanks in advance

Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Welcome to the forum. Since you just bought the car, and probably have no idea of its service history, It would be a good idea to get a transmission flush and replace the fluid in the transmission. It should be changed as recommended in the owners manual using exactly what is specified for the car in the manual. Don't get the idea that you will buy something "better" than what is specified. That transmission was designed around the fluid specified. Later transmissions were designed around different fluids and require those fluids. For instance, if your vehicle requires ATF 3, then don't put ATF 4 into it.

Replacement of transmission fluid requires more than simply removing the pan and draining what comes out. Your best bet would be to see if you can find a shop manual for that car (like a Haynes manual or a Chilton's manual) and read up on what's required to change the fluid. If you decide that your skills and your toolbox are not up to the task, then spend some more money and hire it done. The service manual will come in very handy for a lot of things, you will find.

Rough shifting could also be due to the solenoid pack do a google search and you will find information on how to replace that part. Again, you can decide if you and you toolbox are up to it.

If neither of those things cures the problem, then it might be something more serious that will require professional help. The car is 16, going on 17 [reminds me of an old song] and is going to have issues.