New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to the forum need help with my 85 turbo wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Default New to the forum need help with my 85 turbo wagon

I have a 1985 Chrysler lebaron turbo wagon . Got it in a trade drove it home that day was running okay. Tried to start it next day and it wouldn't start. Been working on fixing it for months now. Mechanics said timming slipped so I replaced the timing belt and reset the timing and while I was down there I replaced the old rusty tentioner. Did an oil filter/oil change because the oil smelled like gas. Now when I try to start it it cranks and won't start but pops , almost like backfire just not as loud. When I feel the exhaust it sucks in and then blows out. Mechanics say timing but I made sure everything was top dead center all markings line up perfectly. Keep in mind this is a non-interference engine, Wich means if the timming jumped or snapped the pistions would not smash the valves or bend them. Please help I'm really stumped on this one thanks !

Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM

If the exhaust sucks, then your timing is off. Re-check your work. Remember that camshafts turn 1/2 the speed of crankshafts, so you may have had the cam 180° out of position.
At 32 years old, that car is an antique. You may find some help on antique Chrysler forums. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
If the exhaust sucks, then your timing is off. Re-check your work. Remember that camshafts turn 1/2 the speed of crankshafts, so you may have had the cam 180° out of position.
At 32 years old, that car is an antique. You may find some help on antique Chrysler forums. Good luck.
just fixed it that was the exact problem got her running great now but one of the alternater wires to the relay melted . Don't know what's going on , the last guy who worked on the alternater screwed something up.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Sounds like there's a short to ground somewhere. No way can I tell you where that is. You're going to have to trace it down. Invest a few buck in a digital volt-ohm meter and start at the melted wire to see if you can find the short. In a car, generally speaking, red wires are 12 volts or power wires. Black wires are grounds. If they are mixed up, bad things happen.

If you can find a factory shop manual (possibly on eBay) for your car, it should have the full wiring diagram. With a car that old, it'll be a challenge. There are shops that specialize in automotive electrical problems.