Idle speed / oil pressure light

Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Default Idle speed / oil pressure light

My 1999 Cirrus idle speeddrops to about 500 rpm once it warms up. Lately when it drops to 500 rpm my low oil pressure light comes on and then goes out once the rpm's come up and does not come on at any setting above idle. I changed the oil and filter so thats not it. I was wondering what should be the rpm's at idle ? My car has 146,000 so it could be anything. The next thing I would like to try is replace the oil pressure switch - where is it located ?

Thanks - George

Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Idle speed / oil pressure light

i take it u have a 2.5l engine right? its right next to the oil filter. Have u cleaned out your throtle body assembly sounds like u are not getting enough air .does it almost want to stall on u?

Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 PM

Yes - I have a 6 cylinder

So far I have sprayed cleaned out the throttle body - replaced the air filter - and replaced the Intake Air Temperature Sensor.

What should the idle speed be ?

Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

600 to 700 why did u replace the air intake sensor? Try an IAC motor take the throtle body off get a new gasket clean it that way and install a new IAC motor.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 PM

I replaced the Intake Air Temperature Sensor because the IAC gets its input from it - I think - I will follow your suggestion and update the results.

Thanks for your feedback...

George

Old 04-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

the IAC is just an output from the engine computer the sensor is yes an input but all of the output commands are contoled by the engine computer

Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Update - I tried to save time and spray clean the throttle body while installed and that didn't help. I removed the throttle body and the inside and backside was covered in soot. Also the Idle Air Control valve was filthy - I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the Idle Air Control valve and the car now idles at the proper speed and the oil light does not come on anymore.

Thanks - George

Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM

I'm having the same problem, and will be taking the throttle body off this weekend to clean it.
My only question is, are the idle air control motor, and the Idle air control valve, the same thing?
If so, can the valve be cleaned out, of does it have to be replaced?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 AM

First I should make it clear I have a six cylinder.

There is only one device to controlthe idle speedon the Throttle Body - the book calls it anIdle Air Control Motor. Why they call it a motor I don't know - it's smaller then a gulf ball on the right side of the throttle body - two screws and a cannon plug. When you remove it there’s a rod a little shorter then a q-tip with a cone on the end that moves in and out. At idle the rod retracts and the cone comes off it's seat and allows air to pass into the engine when the throttle plate is closed. When I removed mine the cone and the seat was all gummed up and the rod was frozen, so at idle it wasn't getting enough air, especially in cold weather. Replace it and clean the seat – don’t scratch the seat, use Gum out and a rag. I cleaned my throttle body with gum out from the front and when I took it off the inside still looked like a chimney. I had to order the gasket for the throttle body – no local dealers stocked it – buy the idle motor from the dealer - not an after market.

Good Luck

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM

That's exactly the info I needed!
Thanks a lot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle speed / oil pressure light