300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1997 LHS Windows and Heat-A/C blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Default 1997 LHS Windows and Heat-A/C blower motor

1997 LHS. 4 door

I used to have to "twist" or "Turn" the ignition key a bit back toward me to get the Windows and Blower motor to work
Now it doesn't do any good.
I've checked fuses and they are fine.
I've sprayed contact cleaner in the key slot and even sprayed WD-40 in there... No Joy.
So I figure it's a dead spot on the ignition switch.

1) Is there a way to "Prove" this so I don't buy something I don't need.
2) Am I looking in the wrong place to start with??

Old 05-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Default RE: 1997 LHS Windows and Heat-A/C blower motor

Anyone?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 AM

Spraying contact cleaner into the key slot (Lock cylinder) will do you no good, as you have already found out. The ignition switch is a separate component opperated by the lock cylinder. On my '94 the ignition switch is located on the left side of the steering column, opposite of the 'key slot'. 3 screws hold the steering column cover on. Then you have to remove the multi-function switch to gain access to the ignition switch. According to my Haynes manual you must removethe negative battery cable and wait 2 minutes before working in the vicinity of the airbag sensors, steering column or instrument panel to avoid the possibility of accidental deployment of the airbags.

Maybe some contact cleaner in the ignition switch will help, although it may be sealed, preventing you from doing this. I am a tinkerer so I would pull the column cover off and have a good look at everything. Maybe you will get lucky and find something loose, dirty or corroded...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Good deal.

Thanks for the tip on the Air Bags... I'm a Tinkerer also, but I know my luck. I can see myself after the Air bags blow...

Like you said about the Lock Cylinder, I lookedup a picture of it and I was thinking that it didn't seem likely to be the trouble do to it's simplicity.

I guess I'll just have to start in on it and feel my way thru.

Thanks again Frag.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

yes I woud say U have a bad ign switch the windows,air bag and blower motor are on the same circuit from the ign switch.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM

Cool.

That would explain why my air bag light is always on.

I thought it was talking about me....

Old 06-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Default Same problem. . .

Okay, this is the first forum I've found the same problem. I didn't discover that I could pull the key back and make it work until now though. I notice that the key for this ignition is severely worn down. I don't know if Chrysler is like this, but I had a Honda that I lost the key and they cut a new key not of the existing, but from the VIN. I am going to try a new key first, and if that don't work move onto ordering a new ignition switch for the car. When I have results I will report back to the forum as well. Thank you for letting me know where to look as I was at a loss as to where all three of these systems would be interconnected. I was totally thinking computer or something but, now after turning key back a little and seeing all systems functioning properly I at least have hope for this car again. . .

(good thing too, cause it has a new motor and transmission since all the key stuff started)

Nickguitarguy