Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/300m-concorde-lhs-new-yorker-19/)
-   -   Putting back the Valve body on the transmission - 2004 Concorde lxi (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/300m-concorde-lhs-new-yorker-19/putting-back-valve-body-transmission-2004-concorde-lxi-14739/)

Mottoman600 05-23-2011 06:23 PM

Putting back the Valve body on the transmission - 2004 Concorde lxi

Hi everyone. I just replaced both the solenoid pack and the transmission range sensor and am having trouble putting back the valve body. I dont know where the overdrive and underdrive pistons with the springs go. Everything is ready to go back in but I need to know where these two pistons go. Does anyone have a dryagram or something? Please help.

Djinn-n-Tonic 05-23-2011 06:31 PM

The pistons should be interchangeable, the face goes up the spring goes into the Hollow portion of the piston. They fit into the holes in the right front corner of the case, above the valvebody.

Djinn-n-Tonic 05-23-2011 06:35 PM

Just a hint....

A slip of cardboard to hold them up in the case.....Put the V/B in position, catch the front bolts, and pull the cardboard straight out. finish starting and tightening the bolts.

Mottoman600 05-23-2011 06:39 PM

HI, thank you for your answer. Are you talking about the two identical holes in the body? One side looks like an intake and the other like what the piston would push against. I'm confused because when I removed the V/B one of the pistons was still attached to an area (a round area that fits the piston perfectly) on the top of the inside body near where the soneloid pack goes into. I could be wrong (tha's why I'm asking) but would only one piston go into one of the holes you told me about (and which one?) and the other to the other area near the solenoid pack? This is a little bit of work and I just wanted to make sure it goes back in right. thank you again.

Mottoman600 05-23-2011 06:54 PM

still needs help

HI, thank you for your answer. Are you talking about the two identical holes in the body? One side looks like an intake and the other like what the piston would push against. I'm confused because when I removed the V/B one of the pistons was still attached to an area (a round area that fits the piston perfectly) on the top of the inside body near where the soneloid pack goes into. I could be wrong (tha's why I'm asking) but would only one piston go into one of the holes you told me about (and which one?) and the other to the other area near the solenoid pack? This is a little bit of work and I just wanted to make sure it goes back in right. thank you again.

Djinn-n-Tonic 05-23-2011 07:12 PM

Ok...There aRE 3 of them...Its sort of a wierd angle since the picture is with the unit out of the car, but it should be useable.

Accumulator pistons

1 - OVERDRIVE ACCUMULATOR LOCATION
2 - UNDERDRIVE ACCUMULATOR LOCATION
3 - LOW/REVERSE ACCUMULATOR

Mottoman600 05-23-2011 07:24 PM

now I'm even more confused. Tow pistons came out.

HI, you said there are 3 pistons, but only two came out. This is a 2004 Chrysler concorde lxi. 42LE type transmission. is that what you have in the illustration?

Djinn-n-Tonic 05-23-2011 07:32 PM

Yes...Thats the only one listed for the car.....

sorry... the "Location text " box didnt show up.....

1 - OVERDRIVE ACCUMULATOR LOCATION
2 - UNDERDRIVE ACCUMULATOR LOCATION
3 - LOW/REVERSE ACCUMULATOR

The two front ones (1+2) I dont believe interchange with (3)...so look carefully...one of them is still stuck in the case.....

Hmmm... You changed the Solenoid pak and trs...why???? Before you bolt this all up....Find the third piston..and make sure it is free in the Bore....A hanging Accumulator piston can wreak havoc in ALL areas of the trans....

Mottoman600 05-23-2011 07:34 PM

I just checked.

Ok. I just checked under the car and this is it. Now then, out of the two pistons, where do they go. from the illustration on #1, 2, or 3?. What's confusing me that is that it seemed to me that one piston was still kinda hanging from #3 from the illustration when I took down the V/B. So, the other one goes where? #1 or 2?

Mottoman600 05-23-2011 07:49 PM

I was getting stuck in limp mode

I changed initially the solenoid pack because i was getting stuck on limp mode and getting codes P1776 and the other P700 or something. And the TRS because the old one got damaged in the process. At least now everything is new.

I was thinking, both pistons I have are exactly the same, they are interchangeable. Perhaps they do go into #1 and 2. Maybe it's my imagination it was stuck around #3. I got a little nervous when the springs came flying out. Actually in #3, there is a piston in there but you can't take it out; there is a ring that holds it in place. That being the case, and since there are no loose parts aside from these. I'm thinking about putting them in #1 and 2 and see what happens. Is that too risky? thanks.