Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-36/)
-   -   VES Problem Town and Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-36/ves-problem-town-country-9152/)

jeffracine 09-04-2009 06:58 AM

VES Problem Town and Country

I have a 2008 Town and Country. The enterntainment system (DVD player) is displaying "Region Code Not Set". the Disc light flashes when a disc loaded or not loaded.

What is the process to reset the region code? The Remote control "Setup" button is not responding, as the screen will not go away from the error message.

Thanks

CHRYSLER TECH 09-04-2009 11:46 AM

U will need to visit the dealer to have them set the region

jeffracine 11-11-2009 01:24 PM

DVD region code issue

My wife had the Van in the dealer for a different reason. She asked them to look at it. They returned to say it was the within the DVD player. Cost to say this $89. To replace it would be $250. Currently I think they are hard up for money, played with it for 10 minutes (like I did) and decided they couldnt figure it out, and could get more money by selling a new unit.

Since money is currently tight, she opted not to get it. Although still paying $89 for nothing.

Is there anyway to get the code so I can reset the Region. Thanks.

morrow01 04-25-2011 03:41 PM

VES - Region Code Error....Is there a simple fix?

I have this same issue...however, convienently, it was immediately AFTER I took my car into the dealer to get everything checked over since my 3y/36K mile warranty was due to expire. (It expired on the 12th, I had my vehicle into the dealer on the 8th) When I got my car back, I noticed the blinking light, however, I wasn't able to take it immediately back into the shop. They now want me to bring it back in, and pay, since my warranty is now over. Which is odd, because it wasn't broken until I took it in. Could it have been jarred loose or disconnected when hooked up to something at the dealer? This is frustrating. I get recall after recall on this van, and now this. I don't need something else needing repair. :( Very disappointed in the purchase of this van. Seriously, this light was blinking before I even took it off the lot after I had the warranty stuff looked over. That's just NOT RIGHT! Too late in the day to get it checked immediately, but still, why am I having to foot the bill for this?

2008 touring town n country 12-15-2011 09:39 AM

I'm having a groundhog day regrettable just like yours. Cost me 69 to reset the region code. they said drive it around and if the satellite syncs and it works fine ... otherwise 320 to replace it. will the 69 go towards replacement cost ... nope

what did you end up doing?

TNtech 12-15-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2008 touring town n country (Post 56844)
I'm having a groundhog day regrettable just like yours. Cost me 69 to reset the region code. they said drive it around and if the satellite syncs and it works fine ... otherwise 320 to replace it. will the 69 go towards replacement cost ... nope

what did you end up doing?

Did you join up just to complain that cars cost money to work on, or do you have a question? We answer questions here. This isn't the Chrysler LLC complaint dept.

2008 touring town n country 12-15-2011 01:14 PM

TNtech,
ok, quit complaining and get it fixed ... I read you loud and clear

my question is should I try remove the dvd and repair the region code msg or replace the whole unit? (I see some 'refurbished' units out on the net)

2008 touring town n country 12-23-2011 03:38 PM

TN tech ... there was a question right in my initial groundhog day reply so not sure how you missed that ... ??

not sure what your gripe was but tried to get a response to 'what did you end up doing?' or a suggestion from the forum

well here's the rest of the story

dealer came back with $849 estimate to replace the lower dvd unit after the region code reset FAILED

so i did a little research and found an outfit that repairs these dvds

United Radio - Quality Electronics Service Since 1923

and Kevin has been very helpful

kmarais@unitedradio.com

to remove the dvd:

look carefully under the dash trim just above the navigation control monitor ... there are two plastic covers you need to pry off... it's like a compression fit that you need to gently pry off and down

remove the 2 philips screws under the covers and gently pry the dash cowling up and out of the way

the trim piece can now be pryed out at the top as there are some slots along the side that provide resistance

however ... the bottom section has two screws that can be revealed by removing the 3 screws on each side of the bottom cowling that covers the lower dash panel (where your feet rest)

pull the lower dash panel out and you'll see the two screws that need to be removed ... now the center dash panel can be slowly pulled out as the wiring harness gives you some room to pull it aside

now you can unscrew the 2 screws actually holding the dvd in place

you will find the dvd still seems screwed in but it's just a compression fitting at the back of the dvd ... gently pull and and wiggle a little straight back and the dvd should release

carefully pull the dvd out and try to guide the wires connected thru the access panel

on the back of the dvd depress the little black tab and the whole wiring harness will release

not sure if this helps but I'm hoping united radio can fix it ... initial quote was 215

2008 touring town n country 12-23-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 56847)
Did you join up just to complain that cars cost money to work on, or do you have a question? We answer questions here. This isn't the Chrysler LLC complaint dept.

I'm making progress ... when are you going to answer my original question ?

morrow01 09-04-2012 01:43 PM

Well, here it is - nearly a year and 1/2 later, and for me, I still don't have this issue fixed. I have personally called Chrystler, and have had continual discussions with my dealer about this matter. They are, however, doing whatever they can to fix it. They haven't charged me again for anything they have tried to do to repair it since the original issue. I have another appt with them tomorrow. I'll let you know if that works. :/