Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler 200 & Sebring (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/)
-   -   01 Convertable 2.7 oil light and gauge ??? (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-200-sebring-14/01-convertable-2-7-oil-light-gauge-5240/)

black71gp 04-02-2008 08:43 PM

01 Convertable 2.7 oil light and gauge ???

Hello everyone.

My wife has a 01 convertable.. love the car.. been great.. now at 91000 oil light it is coming on.. which i have read can be a faulty switch and will be ordering a new one from the dealer soon. along with the new wiring harness i have read about. Is there a way to put an aftermarket oil gauge on these cars? the 2.7. ? has anyone ever done that? I have read all the horror stories about the sludge in the 2.7 i have done all oil changes between 3 and 5000 depending on driving conditions.. like i said.. car still funs fine and light only comes on after long driving then idleing.. or lots of traffice.. where is the port to plug in to test the oil pressue anyone know.. i would really like to add an after market gauge.. so any help is appreciated

Thanks
Jarrod

moe 04-03-2008 08:12 AM

RE: 01 Convertable 2.7 oil light and gauge ???

hey jarrod,use the same threaded hole you take the sending unit from to check pressure.and to install after market gauges.moe

seawind3000 04-03-2008 03:39 PM

You might want to try a 1/2 a can of seafoam to clean the oil system. Most of these problems are caused buy a dirty system. I use seafoam in all my cars, bikes, truck and jetski. Just pour it in and drive.

Mike

black71gp 04-03-2008 05:17 PM

cool i am going to add a gauge .. where can you get the seafoam?

seawind3000 04-03-2008 06:43 PM

I bought mine at napa auto parts, red white can with black lettering.

Mike

johno 04-04-2008 08:13 AM

Sea foam is avail at all auto parts stores, I think even Wal-Mart carries it. It's about 5.00 a can. I'ts pretty liquidly 1/2 can like he suggests. Read instructions on the can. I will try the same thing and see what happens. I used to hear about people put in 1/2 quart of tranny fluid in the oil run it for a few miles & change the oil right away SAME principal

Please post a reply what you found for a gauge and pressuressay at idle and say at 1500 or 2000 RPMand mileage on vehicle would be good info.

Ihave two cars with oil light issues. Iuse the diansoaur oil& change ever 3-4000 miles.

One with 160,000 oil light has been coming on at idlesitting at Red lights it would flicker on & off now it's on most all the time at idle. At times it stays offso I figured it had to be a bad sending unit.
At times even at 2,000 RPM it's still on. It’s rare however.

Other car has 120,000 and it's starting to have the same symptoms sitting at stop lights for a bit.

black71gp 04-21-2008 03:40 PM

well just today got the oil gauge hooked up and the new pressure switch installed... so

at 55mph or around 1800rpm.. oil psi is like 35.. which is nice... when reaving up a bit on hard acceleration psi is around 65...

after running for a while though and getting nice an warm and idle at a light.. the oil light will come back on... oil pressure gauge reads like 7 or so. get it over 10 and the light goes off..

so... whats the next step.. should I get a hi pressure oil pump anything i can do to save this 2.7 before it dies?

oh car has 92500 miles on it..

black71gp 04-22-2008 08:11 PM

does anyone know the factory spec for low oil at idle hot?

seawind3000 04-23-2008 10:19 AM

Have you used the seafoam yet. After all the oil lines are clean, I would add a bottle of Lucas Oil Treatment to the base ( don't over fill the base) This will add some viscosity to your oil and help it to maintain pressure as well as keep the upper engine coated when the engine is shut down, helps with dry startes.

Mike

black71gp 04-23-2008 10:22 AM

No i have not done the seafoam next oil change.. i found this info... going to go to the dealer and ask about this part number

NO: 08-36-99 SUBJECT: Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker DATE: Oct. 15, 1999 OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector. NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE. SYMPTOM/CONDITION: With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle. DIAGNOSIS: Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the 1999 Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/300M service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure. PARTS REQUIRED: Qty Part No. Description 1 05017800AA Wire Terminal/Vent REPAIR PROCEDURE: [ol][*]Raise vehicle on a suitable hoist.[*]Remove engine oil pressure switch connector from switch.[*]Remove sealing dart from the empty cavity at the rear of the connector.[*]Pull terminal locking ring outward from front (switch) side of connector to gain access to terminal locking tabs.[*]Install wire terminal/vent, p/n 05017800AA, in place of the removed sealing dart. Slide locking ring back into place.[*]Attach the connector back on the oil pressure switch.[*]Spot tape the wire/vent to follow the harness towards the top of the engine compartment[/ol]